4055Re: [rest-discuss] 300 response entity format

  • Seairth Jacobs
    Dec 9, 2003
      I don't know of any standard practice, but if you are just returning
      list of URIs, you may want to look at RFC2483, section 5 (text/uri-list)
      [1].

      Seairth

      [1] http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2483/Output/chapter5.html

      "Tyler Close" wrote:

      >Section 10.3.1 of RFC 2616 says the following about the 300
      >Multiple Choices status code:
      >
      >"Unless it was a HEAD request, the response SHOULD include an
      >entity containing a list of resource characteristics and
      >location(s) from which the user or user agent can choose the one
      >most appropriate. The entity format is specified by the media type
      >given in the Content- Type header field. Depending upon the format
      >and the capabilities of the user agent, selection of the most
      >appropriate choice MAY be performed automatically. However, this
      >specification does not define any standard for such automatic
      >selection."
      >
      >Are there any specifications or applications that do define such
      >behaviour? I have an application that needs to return a list of
      >redirection URIs. If there is an existing practice for doing this,
      >I'll follow that rather than define something new.
      >
      >For the curious, an httpsy redirectory needs to be able to return
      >at least two redirection URLs: one for outside the NAT clients and
      >one for inside the NAT clients. See:
      >
      >http://www.waterken.com/dev/YURL/httpsy/
      >
      >Tyler

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic