3839RE: [rest-discuss] 403 vs. 409

  • Julian Reschke
    Aug 4, 2003

      So you think this is wrong because WebDAV added a new status code? I can't
      agree -- the whole point of WebDAV is to *extend* HTTP/1.1 (with new
      methods, request headers...), and therefore adding a new specific 4xx status
      code because none of the existing ones fitted well seems to be absolutely
      right thing to do.

      > I tend to favour 400, but it looks as if 422 was invented for WebDAV
      > because it was decided that 400 couldn't be used to report errors that
      > weren't strictly syntactic?

      Julian