3654Re: [rest-discuss] Why do I care about visibility?

  • Chuck Hinson
    May 1, 2003
      Roy T. Fielding wrote:

      >>>I've been trying to get my mind around exactly what visibility means
      >>>and
      >>>why its important to REST. I think I have a vague sense of what it
      >>>is,
      >>>but I'm not sure I understand why its important. I took a look at
      >>>Fielding's thesis, but I didn't see much at all on visibility.
      >>>

      >>What it said was pretty good though, even just this sentence;
      >>
      >>"Visibility in this case refers to the ability of a component to
      >>monitor
      >>or mediate the interaction between two other components. "
      >>

      >Why it's important? Hmm...
      >
      >There are several places where it comes into play:

      [. . .]

      So is it fair to say that visibility is about a third party's ability to
      understand the intent or meaning of a message or an interaction? And
      increasing visibility is about making it as easy as possible for a third
      party to figure out the intent/meaining of a message?

      Also, does visibility imply the ability of any arbitrary third party to
      understand a message, or does it just mean the ability for some
      particular third party to be able to understand the message. In other
      words, is visibility, to a ceratin extent, application specific (and by
      application I dont mean HTTP, I mean my particular web app built on top
      of HTTP)?

      --Chuck
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic