3647Re: [rest-discuss] Why do I care about visibility?

  • Mark Baker
    May 1, 2003
      On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:42:36PM -0400, Chuck Hinson wrote:
      > So, over the last year or so, I've worked my way through the various
      > concepts of REST - resources, representations, hypermedia as the engine
      > of application state, etc. And now I've come to visibility.
      > I've been trying to get my mind around exactly what visibility means and
      > why its important to REST. I think I have a vague sense of what it is,
      > but I'm not sure I understand why its important. I took a look at
      > Fielding's thesis, but I didn't see much at all on visibility.

      What it said was pretty good though, even just this sentence;

      "Visibility in this case refers to the ability of a component to monitor
      or mediate the interaction between two other components. "

      I think that says it all. Was there something in particular about that
      definition that you had trouble with?

      > Can someone give me an example of why and how visibility is important
      > (in REST). I suspect that one of the examples will involve proxies, so
      > if someone could give an additional example that'd be even better.

      Given the definition, providing an example that doesn't use an
      intermediary would be tough. 8-)

      Mark Baker. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. http://www.markbaker.ca