2788Re: [rest-discuss] Groove Web Services

  • Seairth Jacobs
    Nov 5, 2002
      From: "Mark Baker" <distobj@...>

      > On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:16:17PM -0500, Seairth Jacobs wrote:
      > > It is just as RESTful to create ones own set of verbs that
      > > actually provide the exact functionality needed.
      >
      > No it isn't. You've been here long enough to know that Seairth! 8-O
      > With REST, you're constrained to using methods that you could use on
      > anything. So "CREATE" isn't a REST method, because I don't know what
      > it would mean to invoke that on a URI identifying a stock quote.

      Huh? This is the first time I've heard that all RESTful methods must be
      usable on *anything*. All I understood of REST was that you should use a
      few, generic methods. Within the domain that Groove is functioning, their
      choice of methods are RESTful.

      *sigh* Just when I thought that I understood this REST thing...

      > This is a severe constraint on *form*, but does not in any way constrain
      > *function*. i.e. every problem has a solution with a system built with
      > this constraint in mind.
      >
      > > While HTTP is RESTful, not all things RESTful are HTTP.
      >
      > That's true, but largely irrelevant today; it's all we've got that is.

      If it is largely irrelevant today, then why do we talk about REST at all?
      Why not just talk about HTTP Best Practices instead? If HTTP is the only
      RESTful thing we will be using for any forseeable future, REST concepts
      would get much further if we were to just put it aside and get people to
      focus on HTTP...

      ---
      Seairth Jacobs
      seairth@...