2786Re: [rest-discuss] Groove Web Services

  • Mark Baker
    Nov 5 9:32 AM
      On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:16:17PM -0500, Seairth Jacobs wrote:
      > It is just as RESTful to create ones own set of verbs that
      > actually provide the exact functionality needed.

      No it isn't. You've been here long enough to know that Seairth! 8-O
      With REST, you're constrained to using methods that you could use on
      anything. So "CREATE" isn't a REST method, because I don't know what
      it would mean to invoke that on a URI identifying a stock quote.

      This is a severe constraint on *form*, but does not in any way constrain
      *function*. i.e. every problem has a solution with a system built with
      this constraint in mind.

      > While HTTP is RESTful, not all things RESTful are HTTP.

      That's true, but largely irrelevant today; it's all we've got that is.

      Mark Baker, CTO, Idokorro Mobile. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.
      http://www.markbaker.ca http://www.idokorro.com
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic