2785Re: [rest-discuss] Groove Web Services

  • Seairth Jacobs
    Nov 5, 2002
      From: "Phil Eskelin" <philip.eskelin@...>

      > Regarding Groove Web Services, my thought is that their interface may in
      > fact be very RESTful, but the sentence you quote above leads me to believe
      > that nothing has changed - more hype than anything. A REST developer who
      > *really* got it would call them like they are: GET, PUT, POST, and DELETE.
      > And that same developer would know that SOAP was irrelevant.

      All other arguments aside, I strongly disagree that a REST developer would
      only get it right if they were to use HTTP verbs. HTTP verbs have specific,
      limited meanings that are not necessarily a good match with the Groove Web
      Services. It is just as RESTful to create ones own set of verbs that
      actually provide the exact functionality needed. While I admit that HTTP
      (and its verbs) is fairly prolific, it is not the "be all, end all" of web
      protocols. While HTTP is RESTful, not all things RESTful are HTTP.

      ---
      Seairth Jacobs
      seairth@...
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic