2755Re: [rest-discuss] POSTING to a URI that contains a query string ?

    Oct 11, 2002
      Chris Croome wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > On Thu 10-Oct-2002 at 07:09:02PM +0200, Jan Algermissen wrote:
      > >
      > > Can I POST to a URI that contains a query string ?
      >
      > We haven't had any luck doing that with Apache and Perl, the result
      > is always the same as posting without the query string.

      Hmm, technically I will be writing an Apache module. Am I correctly assuming
      that Apache itself does not have problems with this ?

      The reason why I need to use a query string is that URIs will be part of
      my web service URIs

      Here is a fictitious example:

      Suppose there is a web service that serves manuals for all kinds
      of technical goods, among them air conditioner XYZ. Also suppose that
      the only way to tell the services which machine's manual I need to see
      is via a URI. I would have to issue requests such as

      GET /documentation/manuals?item=http://www.brandX.com/products/air-contitioners#XYZ

      (not url encoded for clarity)

      Would there be any way to put the air conditioner's URI into the service's
      URI other than via a query string ?

      Jan

      > Populating the form with the information from the query string
      > seems the most logical thing to do.
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > --
      > Chris Croome <chris@...>