      From: rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com [mailto:rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Will Hartung
      Sent: March 10, 2014 17:53
      To: mike amundsen
      Cc: rest-discuss
      Subject: Re: [rest-discuss] Updated UBER spec doc

      I know, I know, I like to just bang my drum and hear myself...uh..type, or something...however.

      Mike, please, now, if you're going to specify something for XML, give it an official namespace identifier, and REQUIRE/MUST it.

      The beauty of XML is that you can mix and mash it up, and you can't (easily) do that without a namespace.

      <u:uber xmlns:u="urn:uberisuber"> <u:data>...</u:data> </u:uber>

      <ü:uber xmlns:ü="urn:uberisuber"> <ü:data>...</ü:data> </ü:uber>

      (that would be annoying, but it's amusing in context...anyway...just an abbreviation, could be anything)

      Lots of folks don't namespace their data, and when used internally and privately, that's fine.

      But as soon as you start sharing it, or using it with other XML techs (XML Sig, SOAP, SAML, etc.)  things can get messy, especially for an overarching framework like you're proposing. The framework shouldn't interfere with the data.

      By getting this settled up front, you won't have to worry about legacy implementations (notably XSL) that rely upon your data not having a namespace breaking if/when you change it to add one. This is why you REQUIRE it, XML code is different if the elements are namespaced or not, un-namespaced and namespaced XML files aren't "the same".

      So, anyway, my 2 cents. I'll crawl back in to my hole.

      Regards,

      Will Hartung

      On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM, mike amundsen <mamund@...> wrote:

      I updated the spec docs for UBER ("Uniform Basis for Exchanging Representations") and posted the changes in a branch on github: https://rawgithub.com/mamund/media-types/spec-fixes/uber-hypermedia.html

      This covers most of the suggestions I've had to date on cleaning up the spec and making the JSON variant more canonical.

      Thanks for the contributions and looking forward to the feedback.

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic transmission may be confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the information contained in this transmission is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us by email reply and then erase it from your computer system.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic