19508Re: Atom and prev links

  • Greg Young
    Jun 28, 2013
      We could do all over prev next even with no archiving. Every uri we create is immutable. Spec defines additional logic needed for prev/next which is unneeded for us so archive gives us a simpler client API (also explicit that we are non lossy)

      On Friday, June 28, 2013, Ben Niven-Jenkins wrote:

      On 28 Jun 2013, at 18:32, Greg Young <gregoryyoung1@...> wrote:

      Our whole feed is nonlossy and immutable.

      Can you expand on what you mean by this. Feed archiving doesn't lose information and doesn't require changes to a page once it is first generated.

      Or do you mean the client cannot handle the content of the URI that represents the entry point into the feed changing and expects the content of that URI to stay always constant so the clients needs to page "forward in time" to find the latest entries?

      Ben

      On 28 Jun 2013, at 11:16, Greg Young <gregoryyoung1@...> wrote:

      > We have a mature atom implementation for distribution of event streams
      > and as always the devil is in the details...
      >
      > The issue revolves around prev links. At some point on an atom feed
      > you will hit the current item, prev will point to the next item that
      > does not yet exist.

      Why not use feed paging and use prev-archive to indicate the previous page and keep your "main" feed as the current page.

      Client just polls the current page and if it needs to go further back in time it follows prev-archive links until it finds what it wants.

      You then avoid the problem of links to things that don't exist or updating already archived pages.

      Ben

      --
      Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.

      --
      Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic