19481Re: [apps-discuss] New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-link-hint-00.txt

  • Mark Nottingham
    Jun 25, 2013
      On 26/06/2013, at 2:45 AM, Erik Wilde <dret@...> wrote:

      > i really like the places where it says "a number" and "a list", because these concepts can be easily mapped into pretty much any representation. when it says "an object", however, that's an entirely different matter. it would be great for the registry to really be clear about what kind of structures to expect for hints (single values, value lists, and maybe lists of key/value pairs or something along those lines), and then the registry would not depend on a specific language.

      It's certainly possible to map the JSON data model into XML; it just won't make XML people happy, because it'll have lots of elements named "object" and "array" (although I see a fair amount of "native" XML like this anyway!).

      Likewise for (most any, since JSON is pretty basic) other data models.

      I very much agree that it would be good to not have a dependency upon the JSON data model here. However, I don't see a way to avoid that, without either a) using another data model with exactly the same problem, or b) prohibiting any structured information.

      AIUI you're suggesting (b). Looking through the current list of hints, we already have quite a few that need structure. Can you suggest how to convey the information without using structured data?

      Mark Nottingham http://www.mnot.net/
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic