19276Re: [rest-discuss] conneg considered harmful

  • Peter Williams
    Feb 15, 2013

      Most of those don't talk about why using content negotiation is bad in general.  Instead they talk about how truly different resources should have their own uris even if they are variants of one another (eg articles about the same subject written in different human languages). That seems very reasonable.  However, those arguments don't apply to situations where multiple, truly mechanically translatable, representations of a single resource exist.

      One of those mention that conneg has a negative effect on caching. Is being harder to cache the only ill effect of sever driven conneg?

      Peter
      Barelyenough.org

      On Feb 15, 2013 3:31 PM, "Alan Dean" <alan.dean@...> wrote:
      Perhaps it is worth referencing some other other Fielding quotes on the subject:

      Regards,
      Alan Dean

      On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Peter Williams <pezra@...> wrote:

      Eric,

      That is an interesting quote. I have occasionally heard
      unsubstantiated claims regarding the badness of accept header based
      content negotiation. It is interesting that Roy perceives it as
      "revolting".

      Personally, i rather like it but perhaps i am missing something
      important. I'd definitely like to hear someone (or multiple someones)
      actually articulate what they perceive as problematic about it. So far
      i don't recall ever reading a discussion of the downsides that got
      beyond "i don't like it" or "it is hard for me to implement" (neither
      of which resonate with me).

      On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Eric J. Bowman eric@...> wrote:
      > Mark Baker wrote:
      >>
      >> Besides, client driven uses hypermedia so is way more RESTful.

      Mark, can you explain a bit more why you think this? It is not clear
      to me why avoiding this particular part of http's uniform interface
      would make a client more RESTful.

      Peter
      barelyenough.org

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic