19202Re: [rest-discuss] URI design, part 2

  • Erik Mogensen
    Dec 1, 2012
      This post is mostly aimed at Max Toro, but Eric provided a nice entry point for me :-)

      On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@...> wrote:

      Max Toro wrote:

      > What I'd love to get is an answer like: POST /orders/1/cancel is not
      > REST compliant because chapter x of Fielding's dissertation explicitly
      > or implicitly says it's not allowed or it's discouraged.

      Well, what are you expecting to GET from /cancel, or are you just using
      that URL to invoke a procedure? [...]
       Suggested reading: 6.5.2; 6.2.1, in particular:
      "REST [defines] a resource to be the semantics of what the author
      intends to identify."

      Exactly.  And we don't know what the author intends to identify just by looking at the path /orders/1/cancel.

      Just looking at the syntax of a single request (e.g. the method POST and/or the path /orders/1/cancel) is not enough to determine if the system adheres to any particular architectural style.

      But this is still not enough to determine if a system adheres to the constraints: For even though the server provides such hypermedia controls, media types and does everything "by the book", it is still up to the *client* to actually *use* these hypermedia controls.  In fact it is up to the author of the agent itself.

      If you write code in the client that hard wires a button called "cancel" to the "POST /orders/1/cancel" HTTP request then the client isn't really honouring the hypermedia controls laid out above.  If, however, it _soft wires_ the same button _because_ of the hypermedia control above, then you're doing it "more right" I would say.  The point is that the client should be written in such a way that it uses _only_ the hypermedia controls that it receives at run-time.

      Roy's thesis really must be considered in its entirety, [...]

      +1 to such a degree that 1 > 1.  The rest of the stuff you wrote was great.  I just want to highlight the incorrectness of the question, as others said earlier that REST doesn't say anything about if POST /foo is or isn't...  For all we know /orders/1/cancel is a picture of a dog, or it could be a SOAP endpoint for a nice game of Global Thermonuclear War.

      The constraints of REST are too often thought / taught to deal with the server side, but in my experience, it has much more to do with the client side, how much knowledge the client has on things like:

      - what URLs can it use? (it shouldn't know any; but bind to one at run-time, preferably via a configuration parameter)
      - when it knows one URL (e.g. "/orders/1"), can it add "/cancel" to it to cancel it?  (no, unless it was told to add "/cancel" by a hypermedia control)
      - does it know the "type" of a resource, e.g. that /orders/1 is an Order (this is a point of contention on the list; browsers don't know about books or a bank account, but work fine nonetheless.)
      - when it does know the type of the URL is an order, does it pull up a pre-coded "order" UI (bad), or does it create a UI based on what it finds in the response (good)

      --
      -mogsie-
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic