18946Re: [rest-discuss] CherryPy and REST: REST vs RPC and CherryPy dispatch methods

  • Nick Gall
    Aug 3, 2012
      On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Mike Kelly <mikekelly321@...> wrote:

      On 3 Aug 2012, at 19:35, Nick Gall <nick.gall@...> wrote:

      I've never heard that one style of dispatching is more "RESTful" than another. What most differentiates REST from RPC is the what as known as the hypermedia constraint.

      Hmm, as far as I can tell, REST's main source of differentiation from RPC is the combination of self descriptive messaging and layered constraint which produces a system in which applications are designed as network-visible interactions as opposed to the non-visible invocations you get from RPC. All of the uniform interface subconstraints separate REST from RPC but I think self descriptive messaging is the key one from that pov

      Mike, you may have lost me. How does the requirement of self-descriptive messaging relate to style of dispatching?

      Or are you saying that self-descriptive messaging separates REST from RPC more than the hypermedia constraint?

      If you are saying the latter, then I would claim that there are lots of self-descriptive RPC architectures out there, so self-descriptive messaging does NOT separate REST from RPC nearly as much as the hypermedia constraint does. I'd also argue that the hypermedia constraint is the one that is hardest for those with a traditional RPC mindset to grok, whereas almost anyone can grok self-descriptive messaging. So in terms of the mental shift required, the hypermedia constraint is also the biggest differentiator.

      In fact, in his thesis Roy defines REST in terms of the hypermedia constraint: "This chapter introduces and elaborates the Representational State Transfer (REST) architectural style for distributed hypermedia systems." In other words, if you're not doing hypermedia, you're not doing REST.

      -- Nick

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic