17983Re: [rest-discuss] Re: Using # in link relations to distinct links of the same relationship type?

  • Mike Kelly
    Dec 1, 2011
      the xml variant for HAL has @name for handling this already. It's meant to be used as a secondary key to @rel.

      Mike - the problem with using @id (unique in the whole document) is that it undermines any other intended control data on the link such as @rel - since it's likely your clients will overlook it completely.

      Cheers,
      Mike

      On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM, mike amundsen <mamund@...> wrote:

      i would not use the @rel value as a sort key, either.
      On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 02:10, Jakob Strauch <jakob.strauch@...> wrote:
      Well, i think i meant something different: I want to express a relation ship like "the fifth element", no matter which entity it links to.

      Orders of a customer:

      <link href="/orders/2011/january/123" id="123" rel="http://example/order#1"/>
      <link href="/orders/2011/june/987" id="987" rel="http://example/order#2"/>

      There are already some relationship types for a small subset of this kind of relations: "first" and "last".

      I ran into this questions while enhancing Darell Miller´s HAL serializer with the latest WCF Web API bits...

      --- In rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com, mike amundsen <mamund@...> wrote:

      > using HTML as an example...
      >
      > when servers i write want to pass the identity of an item in a response
      > representation, i use @id (unique) or @name (non-unique) attributes
      >
      > the client apps i write use the @rel & @class attributes (both non-unique
      > multi-valued fields) as a semantic identifier (i.e. what this _means_).
      >
      > i follow the same general rule for any custom designs (XML, JSON, etc.)
      > that i create.
      >
      > mixing identity and meaning into the same attribute is, IMO, not a good
      > idea. esp. in the long-term.
      >
      > mca
      > http://amundsen.com/blog/
      > http://twitter.com@mamund
      > http://mamund.com/foaf.rdf#me
      >

      > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 17:54, Jakob Strauch <jakob.strauch@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Several times i came to the question, wheter to specify a relation with
      > > some kind of index to distinct links of the same relationship type.
      > >
      > > examples:
      > >
      > > GET /products/canon
      > > <category name="canon" ...>
      > >   <link href="..." rel="http://example.com/item#1" .../>
      > >   <link href="..." rel="http://example.com/item#2" .../>
      > >   <link href="..." rel="http://example.com/item#3" .../>
      > > </category>
      > >

      > > With this, one could give same relation-types different weights, an
      > > order/index or different nuances.
      > >
      > > Is it worth thinking about? Would it break something? What are the
      > > arguments ´bout this topic around here? What are alternatives?

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)