17965Re: [rest-discuss] Re: Using URI templates in XHTML

  • Marc Portier
    Nov 13, 2011
      On 10-11-11 15:40, Philippe Mougin wrote:
      > Marc, thanks for answering.
      >
      > > > I'm now in possession of a shinny new URI-template library
      > (implementing
      > > > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gregorio-uritemplate-07) that I
      > plan to
      > >
      > > care to share which one?
      >
      > It's a Java library developed by a colleague. It isn't publicly
      > available (yet).
      >
      > > Below I assume you think about in-browser (js) code that will be
      > > expanding the templates, right?
      >
      > In my context, this isn't necessarily in-browser code, or js code (more
      > likely Java, C# or Perl code). But yes, I 'm talking about client side
      > expansion of URI templates communicated by the server.

      ah ok, since you mentioned XHTML I just assumed browser-client and
      expanded further to assume javascript, sorry for that

      > > Anyway, in terms of HTML such I think the lists of contexts could be
      > > provided by any repeating thing like ul/li, table/tr, p
      >
      > Interesting. This resonates with the problem Eric wrote about:
      > dynamically passing a declarative description of constraints on allowed
      > values for expansion. In your example, you communicate a list of
      > possible contexts for expansion. A context is a set of value for
      > performing a given expansion. Do I understand correctly? If so, I'm not
      > sure why you don't directly pass to the client a list of URI generated
      > server-side by expanding the "templates" using the various contexts? I'm

      Well, that surely *is* an option as I mentioned myself, but if you go
      this path, then you don't need to provide the client with uri-templates
      nor contexts, and you don't need anything else then the xhtml we already
      have...

      So I just assumed you meant this, if not it seemed to make your question
      void?

      > certainly missing some pieces here!

      Not sure, maybe I'm missing the pieces, but here is my line of thinking:
      if you think about sending uri-templates to the client, then I assume
      you want it doing the expansions, and thus, that client will need to
      have a way to access, derive, produce the contexts for that...

      So really, in my mind relating this issue to XHTML (as per your subject)
      really opens up two interesting issues:

      [1] a way to send the uri-templates (link/ref, or the suggested hreft,
      srct variants) ... or ...

      [2] and a way to send the contexts

      regards,
      -marc=