17948Re: [rest-discuss] Using URI templates in XHTML

  • Mike Kelly
    Nov 9, 2011
      On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@...> wrote:
      > Mike Kelly wrote:
      >>
      >> You're focusing on a side issue. Let's change it to this for now:
      >>
      >> <a rel="circle" hreft="/circle/radius;{radius}" />
      >>
      >> Is that (and the description of the rel circle) not an adequate
      >> solution to the "real problem" you mentioned before?
      >>

      > No, it is not adequate.  The definition of rel='circle' still doesn't
      > tell me what the range of allowable values is for the application
      > domain, or what units are used.

      Yes, it's an incomplete example. The definition could be extended to
      include that information, right?

      > An XForms slider control can delimit
      > the allowable values and declare them to be pixels, resulting in a
      > self-documenting API instead of an endpoint dependent upon out-of-band
      > knowledge.

      This would be a self-documenting API to you, but not to the automated
      (m2m) client you build against it. An automated client is dependent on
      the knowledge you instill it with up front which, from its point of
      view when interacting with the application, is out-of-band.

      I'm not clear on what you mean by 'endpoint' here, either.

      Cheers,
      Mike
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic