17939Re: [rest-discuss] Using URI templates in XHTML

    Nov 9, 2011
      "Philippe Mougin" wrote:
      > Context:
      > ********
      > I'm using XHTML for the representation of some resources, in a
      > Restful machine-to-machine context. In particular, I'm using it for
      > representing the "entry point" of my system, from where clients can
      > dynamically learn how to construct URLs to other resources and start
      > navigate the resource space. To that end I've been using XHTML <a>
      > and <form> elements as hypermedia controls.

      XForms is also very useful for constructing URLs on the client.

      > Question:
      > *********
      > I'd like to use URI template as hypermedia control in XHTML, as a
      > (richer) alternative to my existing forms. What do you think is the
      > best way to do so ? Specifically, how would you represent an URI
      > template in XHTML (given it must be used as a hypermedia control for
      > programatic clients)?

      Consensus will need to be reached, eventually, but I'd suggest that URI
      templates be integrated into (X)HTML with new attributes -- any existing
      attribute which takes a URI (@href, @src etc.) may take a suffix of 't'
      to indicate the presence of an expansion model which yields a URI
      (@hreft, @srct etc.).

      The real problem is how to indicate the allowable values for expansions,
      for the purpose of generating a list of possible state transitions (just
      like a form). I can imagine doing this in XForms, and having a re-
      usable library. I don't know the nature of the library you mention, but
      code-on-demand is just as valid for generating a list of links (even as
      a GET <form>).

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic