17845Re: [rest-discuss] Re: Why is there no "item" link relation registered at IANA?

  • Mike Kelly
    Oct 10, 2011
      Right, this is also a primary purpose of <resource> elements in hal representations

      On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Daniel "Oscar" Schulte <mail@...> wrote:

      If I remember correctly, the Context IRI is definined by the Media Type. Atom (RFC 4287) defines the containing element as context (" The value "self" signifies that the IRI in the value of the href attribute identifies a resource equivalent to the containing element."). However, Web Linking (RFC 5988) defines the IRI of the requested resource as default Context IRI but allows to override it by an anchor parameter.

      Am 08.10.2011 15:32, schrieb Jakob Strauch:

      As far as i understand link relations, they refer to the context of
      the resource URI. From [1]:

      A link can be viewed as a statement of the form "{context IRI} has a
      {relation type} resource at {target IRI}, which has {target
      attributes}."

      In your example, does "self" not refer to the resource´s context (the collection)?

      [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-10#page-4

      --- In rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "bryan_w_taylor" <bryan_w_taylor@...> wrote:

      > Just use "self" within the context of a child item:
      >
      > <things>
      > <thing id="1" name="thing1">
      > <atom:link rel="self" href="http://example.com/things/1"/>
      > </thing>
      > <thing id="2" name="thing2">
      > <atom:link rel="self" href="http://example.com/things/2"/>
      > </thing>
      > </things>
      >
      > --- In rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Jakob Strauch" <jakob.strauch@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just wondered why there is no "item" relation (ore something similar) registered at [1] with the semantics of "this is an item of this collection resource".

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic