17074Re: [rest-discuss] Link relations [was: A media type for case files, dossiers and documents]

  • Peter Williams
    Dec 5, 2010
      On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@...> wrote:

      <snip/>

      > Anyway, it was previously discussed that the sentence in question is a
      > bit buggy, which is in part to blame for the confusion.  REST can be
      > instantiated over IP by any protocol using media types, and meeting the
      > other constraints like caching, not just by HTTP.  But the media type
      > is the means by which resource and representation are decoupled.

      I see in table 5-1[1] "media type" is listed in the modern web
      examples column. That does seem to bolster your argument. However,
      the dissertation uses the term while describing the style rather than
      http specifically. Your interpretation would seem to imply that a
      stack (networking system and restful application protocol) that
      eschewed iana registered media types would have to have to use a
      different term for "the flavor of representations".

      Perhaps it is a bug that the dissertation uses "media type" in the way
      it does. However, that cannot be undone. Given that the dissertation
      does use the term the way it does i stand by my assertion that there
      are two valid uses of "media type". One which means a data format
      that is registered with iana, and another that means a type, defined
      by a specification, of representation used in a restful system.

      Regardless, it seems a point of little importance.

      [1]: <http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#tab_5_1>

      Peter
      barelyenough.org
    • Show all 88 messages in this topic