16788Re: Fledgling REST blogger looking for suggestions and feedback

  • Ray
    Nov 3, 2010
      Perhaps I should have been more clear in the post. I wasn't attempting to invent a new term for server states as Larry Masinter suggests in the linked email.

      I was attempting to make an analogy between the client's incarnation of the application and a state machine. In the linked email, Roy refers to the client's incarnation of the application as "hypermedia workspace".

      Between requests, the client's (or user agent if you prefer) hypermedia workspace is like a state machine's "current state". Then actions taken by the client/UserAgent via links are the state transitions.

      Am I understanding things poorly? Is that a bad analogy?

      ...or am I relating my understanding poorly?

      Perhaps I should revise the blog post to make it clear that the analogy to state machine is to be drawn to the user agent's hypermedia workspace? (not to a resource or to a representation)

      (sry I sent this twice Jan)