16413Re: REST, HTTP, Web, Internet [was Atom feed vs. list of orders]

  • William Martinez Pomares
    Sep 1, 2010
      Ok.
      I was away and lost all the fun, got late to the party, and so...
      But cannot resist putting my two cents in this.

      1. I share most of Antonio's feelings in his rant. Sometimes I do not agree on his appreciations, but the points he made are valid. Actually, there are point I see on other threads as well.

      2. REST, as I understand, is a style. You can build it with whatever you want. We need to apply the "practicality" principle (do things in a practical way) and avoid the Golden Hammer Syndrome.

      3. To me, Standardization is more related to common understanding, of all participants in a networked application. The registering part is a way of doing it. There me be better or worse ways, all accomplishing the same goal.

      4. REST is free to be used privately, or so I feel it. Only a few guys and me. There is nothing I can find that forces me to use the WEB in general and to take into account all and each of the nodes that are connected to it.

      5. Not all is written, yet. It is not true the current "standards", official or ad hoc, are the only ones that will ever be, no new kids allowed.

      6. If I use the web, doesn't mean I'm entering the big and only one networked application, that I should agree with all the existing nodes in the web the way I send my messages (and the ones that will be in the future too!). And here (as with everything else) I can be wrong: I see the web more as a framework, a supporting implementation for trillions of networked, individual apps. There I can use others services, create my own, be a global provider or simply build a small page for my family to see mi baby's pictures. I see no practical use to have a full body of standards watching over me and punishing if I post the pictures using my own, non-patent, 4D format. I see practical use in having that body registering the common, most used, most practical, proven and approved format we can use, so if I'm new in town, I can go there and pick the best for my app, if that one exists. And the best means the one that will support many of my quality properties needs, which MAY be: interoperability, readiness, compactness, legibility, security, etc.

      7. Example? We work on a testing system that builds thousands of nodes, for a few minutes, to load test servers. That is a network of testing nodes, on the cloud, talking between them with proprietary, efficient formats. Once all that info is gathered, it is served in standard formats to clients. That is practical. RESTful? May be, but who cares? It is working and working fine.

      Cheers!

      William Martinez.