16073Re: [rest-discuss] RESTful Reference Architectures?

  • Bryan Taylor
    Aug 1, 2010
      I hadn't actually seen this before. It will definitely be useful.

      In terms of the ANSI/IEEE 1471 approach, the document doesn't seem to
      differentiate architectural views from the different viewpoints that it
      enumerates in the intended audience section and it doesn't express a distinct
      model for each view. To get a sense of what I'm looking for, the wikipedia
      article on 1471 may be helpful, especially the entity model diagram. See:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1471 and
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IEEEConceptualFramework4ArchitectureDescription.png

      I did find one of the references cited was a little closer to what I was looking
      for, a paper by Fielding and Taylor:
      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/webarch_icse2000.pdf

      This expresses three views of a RESTful system: process, connector, and data.
      This caused me to relook at Fielding's dissertation, which has the same
      content. It's interesting to compare these to the OASIS reference architecture
      for SOA (link in the thread root), which provides models for architectural views
      from three viewpoints: that of the service ecosystem (the "business" view), that
      of realizing the SOA (ie the implementer's viewpoint), and that of the SOA owner
      (ie IT management).

      I suspect that the difference in viewpoints are the reason that people versed in
      REST and people versed in SOA seem so often to talk passed each other. REST as
      an architectural style is simply not expressed in terms remotely close to those
      that describe the service ecosystem viewpoint and IT ownership viewpoint that
      OASIS used to express a SOA reference architecture.