      From: William Martinez Pomares <wmartinez@...>
      Subject: [rest-discuss] What do you think about REST being a synonym of Service creation technique?
      To: rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 6:25 PM

      Hello all.
      I got the newsletter from InfoQ this week, and suddenly I noticed something that has been there since long, but till now I didn't realize it.

      In the SOA channel articles and news, there were only one of each. One article about the REST maturity levels, and one news item about REST security. Oh my...
      I thought there was some mistake, that those two items belong to the REST channel, and then I realized that there was no REST channel in InfoQ!

      Then, I had a quick twitter chat with Ryan Sloboyan, Editor from InfoQ. It seems, REST is seen just as a way to create services, opposite to SOAP / WS-* lineage. Ryan told me there is always a possibility to create a REST only channel, but he thinks that will be a narrow one, with not so many readers. The expectation is then REST readers will come just to learn how to create easy services nos using SOAP.

      Now, Jack Vaughan from SearchSOA was in a fireside chat with me, at the Java Symposium from TheServerSide, where I was to talk about REST apis, and their real meaning. He told me his idea of REST was similar to that one of the new way of doing services for SOA. We got a full room, and I asked if someone as ever read Roy's dissertation. None, and some with faces of "who the hell is that Roy guy?". The question of how many thought REST was a new way of doing services yield to several hands up. Also the one about REST as an HTTP driven RPC.

      So, all in all, it seems the idea of REST as an Easy Services Creation technique is strong, even influenced in the InfoQ categorization of articles and news.

      I know some of you do post on InfoQ, and are even editors.
      What are your thoughts? Do you think it is good to keep that idea?
      Do you think that is actually the idea?
      What do you think of posting REST as an architectural style?

      I want to hear your opinions, since I feel that would be an interesting discussion.

      William Martinez Pomares.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic