1187Re: [rest-discuss] Re: GoogleAPI is Rest?

  • Paul Prescod
    May 1, 2002
      Mark Baker wrote:

      > I'm not Lucas. 8-)
      >
      > On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:22:32PM +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
      > > Are you saying the processing style depends on the underlying protocol
      > > SOAP is carried over/through? I thought SOAP was supposed to be a
      > > protocol.
      >
      > Those two things aren't inconsistent. WebDAV is both a protocol and
      > an HTTP extension.

      But WebDAV is only designed to run over HTTP or perhaps over protocols
      with very HTTP-like characteristics. If you use a WebDAV library you
      know what to expect in terms of synchronousness, message patterns, etc.
      SOAP does not predefine message patterns independent of the transport.
      One transport could be synchronous and the next asynchronous. One
      unidirectional and the next bidirectional. One transport could have an
      addressing model and another lack one. etc.

      Paul Prescod
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic