11699Re: [rest-discuss] Gartner note on WOA (Web-Oriented Architecture) just published

  • Nick Gall
    Dec 4, 2008
      On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@...> wrote:

      > Hi Nick,
      >
      > Thanks for elaborating.
      >
      >> Every industry has myriad master/reference data standards that are
      >> "application neutral" aka "application generic". Contrast this with
      >> enterprises or applications that use "application specific" product
      >> identifiers, country identifiers, disease identifiers, business identifiers.
      >
      > There are two things here.
      >
      > One is an identifier a la atom:id, whose purpose is to uniquely identify the resource and remain the same. Unlike URIs, this ID is supposed to remain unchanged for the lifetime of the resource. On a related note, I think that every representation (whether using Atom or not) should include an "id" preferably encoded as a URN.
      >
      > The second one is how such an identifier (if at all) is encoded into a URI.
      >
      > In general, both are opaque to the client.
      >
      > AFAIU, your description of "generic identifier" should be applied to the former and let other considerations influence the URI design.

      I understand your concerns about URIs changing, but I'm an adherent to the "Cool URIs don't change" school (http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#URI-persistence and http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI ). So ultimately, I'd prefer to see all identifiers as URLs (not just URIs) and have such URLs be permanent. However, I'm practical as well. And if someone feels that a different style of URI would be easier to make permanent, then at least that's a step in the right direction.

      Here's a great example of "generic identifiers" that I just stumbled across. The BBC entered into a licensing agreement with MusicBrainz to reuse the latter's ID's for music et al. Read more about it here:

    • Show all 38 messages in this topic