1166Re: [rest-discuss] Re: GoogleAPI is Rest?

  • Paul Prescod
    May 1, 2002
      Lucas Gonze wrote:

      > On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Asynch Messaging wrote:
      > > > And to provide sufficient metadata, in the form of WSDL, so that a large
      > > > number of developers can be instantly up and running.
      > > Don't know how to do that in pure HTTP - that's a missing piece. Not enough
      > > to through out the baby with the bathwater though.
      >
      > There are a bunch of missing pieces. WSDL for HTTP resources needs to
      > happen. Work on event models needs to get finished. Maybe store and
      > forward (the email workalike we discussed here a few months ago) needs to
      > happen.

      WSDL for HTTP is -- as far as I can tell -- exactly as functional as
      WSDL for SOAP. That doesn't mean that WSDL is REST-ful, but it does mean
      that your next sentence is misleading:

      > SOAP-RPC already offers solutions to all of the above.

      How does SOAP-RPC handle "event models"????

      > ... They're not as
      > good as HTTP solutions could be but at least they're out there. Until the
      > REST stack gets filled out to the same degree as the XML RPC stack, we are
      > in ivory tower land.

      We are already more filled out. WSDL is broken for HTTP but just as
      broken for SOAP. UDDI is entirely useless for both. Our rough ideas at
      event models are better than what I've seen for SOAP. We have *some*
      form of authentication. Most important: we have an addressing and
      resource manipulation model. They don't even know that they lack one yet
      (despite that I've been telling them for six months!).

      Paul Prescod
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic