11649Re: [rest-discuss] Re: Gartner note on WOA (Web-Oriented Architecture) just published

  • Bob Haugen
    Dec 1, 2008
      Reality check re the REA model: I was one of the people who tried to
      define that as a standard format at least for B2B interactions.

      I worked on this issue with ebXML, UN/CEFACT and ISO. To some extent,
      REA is incorporated in the "standards" of each of those organizations.
      Explicitly so for ISO:
      http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=40348

      ebXML and UN/CEFACT also tried to "standardize" an application
      protocol for exchanging business messages using a somewhat-REA-based
      vocabulary.

      The reason I put quotes around "standardize" is that all three of
      those groups claimed to provide "standards", all three coming from the
      same background sources (EDI and REA), and all three are slightly
      different.

      Likewise OASIS Universal Business Language (UBL)
      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl also
      spun off from ebXML, and claims to provide yet another "standard" B2B
      vocabulary, derived mostly from X12 and EDIFACT EDI without any REA
      influence.

      And then there's OAG http://www.openapplications.org/ which also
      claims to provide "standard" business document formats.

      And some large supply chain heads use their own proprietary vocabularies.

      And the old EDI formats - ANSII X12 and UN EDIFACT - are probably
      still used more than any of the above.
    • Show all 38 messages in this topic