11437Re: [rest-discuss] RE: [whatwg] Proposing URI Templates for WebForms 2.0

  • Subbu Allamaraju
    Nov 5, 2008
      Eric and Mike,

      I am not convinced that URI templates will reduce that disparity. The
      point I was trying to make yesterday was that, when these servers
      become the same, the server will be using a media type like HTML, and
      hence will have to follow the same techniques that HTML clients follow
      *today*. So, IMHO, the argument for templates should be discussed on
      its own merits for HTML.

      Subbu

      On Nov 4, 2008, at 11:45 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

      > Well said; I concur with this analysis and this goal completely.
      > Adding URI
      > Template support to HTML forms reduces the disparity between what
      > can be
      > done with a "website" and what must be done with an "RESTful API
      > server" per
      > se.
      >
      > There ideally should be as little technical difference between the
      > two where
      > the client is given the option to view it as it may. Without URI
      > Template
      > support HTML forms will continue to be 2nd class citizen when
      > compared to
      > other solutions for interacting with REST-based web services.
      >
      > While this hadn't been part of my original reason for request URI
      > Template
      > support in HTML forms it's now clear it is probably a more important
      > justification than my original. Thanks Erik.

      ---
      http://subbu.org
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic