11436RE: [rest-discuss] RE: [whatwg] Proposing URI Templates for WebForms 2.0

  • Mike Schinkel
    Nov 4, 2008
      >> Erik Wilde wrote:
      ...i don't think we should make that distinction of servers; on the
      contrary, i think the web should take every step possible into a direction
      where that perceived difference between "API servers" and "web servers"
      disappears, and where technologies that somehow create that distinction
      (such as HTML forms) are fixed (with reasonable transition strategies in
      place).

      Well said; I concur with this analysis and this goal completely. Adding URI
      Template support to HTML forms reduces the disparity between what can be
      done with a "website" and what must be done with an "RESTful API server" per
      se.

      There ideally should be as little technical difference between the two where
      the client is given the option to view it as it may. Without URI Template
      support HTML forms will continue to be 2nd class citizen when compared to
      other solutions for interacting with REST-based web services.

      While this hadn't been part of my original reason for request URI Template
      support in HTML forms it's now clear it is probably a more important
      justification than my original. Thanks Erik.

      -Mike Schinkel
      http://mikeschinkel.com
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic