      From: Erik Wilde [mailto:dret@...]
      Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:01 PM
      To: Subbu Allamaraju
      Cc: Mike Schinkel; 'Mark Nottingham'; 'Ian Hickson'; 'Jerome Louvel';
      whatwg@...; uri@...; rest-discuss@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [rest-discuss] RE: [whatwg] Proposing URI Templates for
      WebForms 2.0

      Subbu Allamaraju wrote:
      > I see the use cases, but what is the server gaining with this
      > flexibility? In other words, how many servers out there are going to
      > benefit from this technique?

      the question is more how many page authors will be able to reliably develop
      forms against services/servers? i think mike's idea is pretty good because
      it increases loose coupling between clients and servers.

      on today's web, forms and services are more or less tightly coupled, and
      they almost are developed as one thing. mike proposes an architecture that
      introduces a more loose coupling, because a form is able to interact with
      more services than before.

      ( mike, please correct me if i am wrong. )

      > Not having templates in forms does not violate URI opacity since HTML
      > forms do follow a well-defined and well-understood approach to
      > construct a URI from form parameters.

      yes, but if you have some service out there that expect certain URIs, then
      currently it is not possible to build a form for that, unless the service
      does expect form-encoded data. mike's proposal would allow forms to interact
      with a much wider set of services.

      cheers,

      dret.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic