11424RE: [whatwg] Proposing URI Templates for WebForms 2.0

  • Mike Schinkel
    Nov 1, 2008
      Mark Nottingham>>Sorry, but no. Each of those, as Ian says, can be
      implemented with a very simple server-side script. Yes, it's true that this
      requires somebody to write the script...

      How exact can it be implemented on the server when the person writing the
      HTML form is in control of the server? THAT's the primary use case.

      In the case of someone being in control of the server it then requires two
      round-trips and from what I know is that too many people priorize
      performance over everything else which means too many people simple won't
      implement on their servers.

      Mark Nottingham>> isn't a constituency for it beating down the door.

      Me, Jerome and Paul are a constituency. :)

      >> I don't (yet) hear people beating down Ian's door to include this, so it
      makes me suspicious.

      Do I need to start yelling louder? :-)

      Adding URI Templates to forms fills a large hole in the forms architecture;
      This is very much a case of empowering serendipity as the current form
      architecture current cannotly service the full range of URLs that can be
      used. I'm asking for (most of) that gap to be filled.

      Mark Nottingham>> I'm not the person to ask that, but frankly if you want
      the functionality, go ahead and write the software, publish the site,
      release the browser plug-in; the standards will follow if the minds do.

      That's a non-sequitur; that's like telling me to build a natural-gas powered
      car and expect that people will buy it when in fact there are not enough
      natural-gas stations available. Your suggestion that the solution is to
      write a browser plug-in is about like suggesting I just pound sand although
      it is a bit less insulting. :-)

      No one will use the syntax until enough people have the plugin, and nobody
      will install the plugin unless enough people are using the syntax; it's a
      catch-22. This type of thing is where standards are needed in advance.

      -Mike Schinkel
      http://mikeschinkel.com
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic