11421RE: [whatwg] Proposing URI Templates for WebForms 2.0

  • Mike Schinkel
    Nov 1, 2008
      Mark Nottingham>> This is good and I agree that in a perfect world, more
      flexibility would have been designed in from the start. However, to put them
      into the mix while the machine is running is a bit more complex; there needs
      to be something more compelling (there's that word again) to drive adoption.

      Can you help me understand the comment on why "putting them into the mix
      while the machine is running is a bit more complex?" I guess I don't
      understand either "while the machine is running" part and why it is more
      complex. What about it is more complex.

      Mark Nottingham>> If you can find cases where someone can reuse that
      template in an unintended way -- e.g., a search engine, a client doing
      automated things, a non-traditional browser, an intermediary -- I think it'd
      go a long way towards this.

      Hopefully the 3 examples I gave in my ealier email presents relevent cases?

      Mark Nottingham>> And, if you can come up with those cases, why not define
      it as an extension (since it needs to be largely backwards-compatible
      anyway)?

      What exactly is an HTML5 extension? Can you provide a link that explains
      this? I can't comment as to if it would be an acceptable substitute until I
      know more...

      Mark Nottingham>> If it takes off, you can have the satisfaction of seeing
      it incorporated into HTML6...

      Please PLEASE don't make us wait until 2032 or so for this! ;-)

      -Mike Schinkel
      President; NewClarity LLC
      Organizer: Atlanta Web Entrepreneurs
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikeschinkel