SRO question

  • Bob Renzi
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2014
      I have a question to the school resource officers primarily in Ohio, but officers anywhere can also answer.

      Are there any specific state qualifications to become a resource officer within your state? and if yes, what are they?  I am an instructor in Pennsylvania and get this question about our state many times.  Pennsylvania seems to rely mostly on retired policemen to patrol school buildings.

      Also, since we don't have any qualifications stated within our state laws, can you suggest any minimum qualifications that you may think one should have to be an effection resource officer?

      Bob Renzi
      ALICE Instructor
    • Michael C Kimball
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2014
        Hi Sir it's Mike Kimball in California

        Here in California,with the exception of the school police in larger cities, our school resource officers must be employed by the agency and must have completed the full-time basic academy which is over 600 hours of training.  This is after they have completed a full background check, polygraph, psychological, physical abilities, physical / medical exam, and completed all the testing process is to become a police officer.

        And some agencies the officer must have a minimum of a two year college degree but a four-year degree is preferred

        Following the basic academy they must have successfully completed their field training officer program which could take up to a year

        They must have served on patrol for at least three years before becoming a school resource officer which is considered a special assignment

        All candidates for the special assignment must compete through an oral and written exam

        Once chosen to do school resource officer they are nominated to the school and the school administrators will also interview the officer for the position

        If chosen the school resource officer must attend an additional 80 hours of training prior to taking the position

        Once in the position to school resource officer must continue with ongoing education through the course of the special assignment which is generally a three-year period

        Our school resource officers are expected to do more than just patrol the schools to include attend meetings, attend events, establish relationships with both teachers administration and students, provide educational training for the students and the parents, work gang and drug intervention, assist in facilitating disaster and other emergency drills, assist patrol as needed, handle all school related fights, on or off campus, provide reports to the chief of police, city counsel and school board, attend PTA meetings, etc

        Hope this helps to give a snap shot

        Mike

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 12, 2014, at 11:20 AM, "'Bob Renzi' brenzi@... [responseoptions]" <responseoptions@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I have a question to the school resource officers primarily in Ohio, but officers anywhere can also answer.

        Are there any specific state qualifications to become a resource officer within your state? and if yes, what are they?  I am an instructor in Pennsylvania and get this question about our state many times.  Pennsylvania seems to rely mostly on retired policemen to patrol school buildings.

        Also, since we don't have any qualifications stated within our state laws, can you suggest any minimum qualifications that you may think one should have to be an effection resource officer?

        Bob Renzi
        ALICE Instructor

      • Joe Hoffar
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2014
          Mike is correct. These are the same requirements we have. California's Police Officers Standards and Training (POST) also put together a training Manual and video back in 2000.

          Atwater, California

          Sent from my iPhone

          Joe Hoffar

          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2014

            Mike,
            Thanks so much for taking the time to list the qualifications in your state for a school resource officer. I appreciate it immensely.  You seem to be very well trained for the position.
            Bob Renzi

            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2014
              Thank you Bob.

              Mike

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 11 , May 15, 2014
                It looks like an answer to your question could be two part. At least in CT, we have SRO's, who are CT certified sworn police officers and are assigned to a school through their police agency. The SRO receives 3 weeks of SRO training as well as continued in service SRO and police training. Then there are various levels of school security officers that are employed by the school district. The security officers are sometimes armed, and if so, very often they are retired police officers. That is up the the district. Universities have their own police force of POST certified police officers, and will usually have an armed and/or unarmed security force as well.
              • brenzi
                Message 7 of 11 , May 19, 2014
                  I have a couple of questions before I give a presentation tomorrow.  What percentage of the school districts in the state of Ohio have had ALICE training??
                  How many, if any, shooters in a school district have been shot by school police or local police to end a threat??
                  Thank you all for any help you can give me.

                  Bob Renzi

                  Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:19 AM

                  It looks like an answer to your question could be two part. At least in CT, we have SRO's, who are CT certified sworn police officers and are assigned to a school through their police agency. The SRO receives 3 weeks of SRO training as well as continued in service SRO and police training. Then there are various levels of school security officers that are employed by the school district. The security officers are sometimes armed, and if so, very often they are retired police officers. That is up the the district. Universities have their own police force of POST certified police officers, and will usually have an armed and/or unarmed security force as well.

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Daniel Bickett

                    Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:19 AM

                    It looks like an answer to your question could be two part. At least in CT, we have SRO's, who are CT certified sworn police officers and are assigned to a school through their police agency. The SRO receives 3 weeks of SRO training as well as continued in service SRO and police training. Then there are various levels of school security officers that are employed by the school district. The security officers are sometimes armed, and if so, very often they are retired police officers. That is up the the district. Universities have their own police force of POST certified police officers, and will usually have an armed and/or unarmed security force as well.

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • Greg Crane
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 19, 2014
                      In their 2013 book, Blair and Martaindale (of ALERRT) said there were 84 ASE's between 2000-2010 (the number is light in my opinion and others, it is due to the criteria they chose for an event to be declared an ASE. Of the 84 events, their research stated that police only stopped 24 of those, with 17 shooters being shot and 7 being subdued by the police. That means that about 70% of the events that made up there research was done by means other than stopped by police.

                      At last count, we are getting close to 300 school districts in Ohio having ALICE Instructors, which is almost half the districts in the State.

                      Greg Crane
                      ALICE Training Institute
                      3613 Reserve Commons
                      Medina, OH 44256
                      330-661-0106

                      Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:19 AM

                      It looks like an answer to your question could be two part. At least in CT, we have SRO's, who are CT certified sworn police officers and are assigned to a school through their police agency. The SRO receives 3 weeks of SRO training as well as continued in service SRO and police training. Then there are various levels of school security officers that are employed by the school district. The security officers are sometimes armed, and if so, very often they are retired police officers. That is up the the district. Universities have their own police force of POST certified police officers, and will usually have an armed and/or unarmed security force as well.

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • Brian McKenzie
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 20, 2014

                        You can add Beaver Local School District, American Spirit Academy and the Columbiana County Career Center as being ALICE Trained!

                        Brian McKenzie

                        Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:19 AM

                        It looks like an answer to your question could be two part. At least in CT, we have SRO's, who are CT certified sworn police officers and are assigned to a school through their police agency. The SRO receives 3 weeks of SRO training as well as continued in service SRO and police training. Then there are various levels of school security officers that are employed by the school district. The security officers are sometimes armed, and if so, very often they are retired police officers. That is up the the district. Universities have their own police force of POST certified police officers, and will usually have an armed and/or unarmed security force as well.

                        No virus found in this message.

                      • Mike Lewis
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 23, 2014
                          In Missouri the SRO must also be a sworn police officer meaning they must be certified and have completed the basic academy as well.  Also this last year (June of 2013) the Governor signed a bill requiring all SRO's to receive an additional SRO basic class within the first year they are hired.

                          Mike Lewis