School Bus Emergency Procedures

  • Lee County Emergency Management
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2014

      Good Day All,

      I was asked today during and ALICE presentation to a local school district if there are any procedures for school bus drivers to deal with an active shooter.  Anyone know of anything out there?

      Thanks.

      Steve

      Lee County Emergency

      Management Agency

      811 Ave E

      Fort Madison, IA 52627

      319-372-4124

      www.leecountyema.com

    • schroeder_10
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2014

        School Bus driver safety has been a hot topic in this area as well. There is a large training (about 300 bus drivers) going to occur in Lebanon MO on 01/30/14. This is put on by the MOCES (Missouri Center for Educational Safety).  Contact for the MOCES is at moces.org  They incorporate ALICE strategies into the safety program.  Hope this helps a little.

      • Derek
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2014
          Hi Steve,

          Basically, the recommendation is to make it difficult for the shooter to shoot accurately. The bus driver should drive erratically (side to side, speed up then brake abruptly, etc). Whatever it takes to have the occupants be harder targets.

          This should make the shooter lose his balance and ability to shoot accurately. Hopefully, it will make him lose control of the gun, fall down, get knocked out, etc..

          Good Luck!

          Derek Jones

          Sent from my iPhone