ALICE drills

  • ksonagere
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2013

      How many districts in Ohio have conducted full ALICE drills with students? Did anyone use blanks?

    • Greg Crane
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2013
        Frankly, I have not heard of anyone using blanks with the kids. I have found that using air horns to signify gunshots gets the point across, provides the sound stimulus, but does not cause undue stress and anxiety in the kids... or the adults!!

        We would also refrain from ever doing any kind of safety drill, whether LOCKDOWN or ALICE, in an unannounced format. This is due to the possibility of some reacting as it it's real. Counter strategies, jumping out of windows, etc. All safety drills should be announced in our opinion.

        Also, once the initial training with the staff and students has been completed, the drills can easily follow a verbal format and be more of critical thinking exercise. The physical skills (distractions, swarm, evacuate) required for surviving this event are very easy. It is the mental aspect of survival that precedes the physical act that is the most difficult. Critical thinking exercises (announce a stimulus) provide information about a situation and let the staff and students discuss their options. These discussions then can put into a report by class and submitted to SRO's and administration for review. If any glaring mistakes or wrong decisions were made based on stimulus, location, variables, etc. the class can queried as to their decision. May be that there was a specific not to evacuate when that option was clearly available.

        Greg Crane
        ALICE Training Institute
        3613 Reserve Commons
        Medina, OH 44256
        330-661-0106

        On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM, <ksonagere@...> wrote:

        How many districts in Ohio have conducted full ALICE drills with students? Did anyone use blanks?

      • Ron Brooks
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2013

          When we first started teaching ALICE in Athens we wanted to do more hands-on drills but we were forced to set things up for more of the critical thinking exercises instead due to time constraints set by the school district.  The schools did not want to have to pay the overtime to the teachers and did not want to give us an in-service day.

          Long story short, After doing several classes we decided  the critical thinking exercises were even better for the reasons you described below.  We still practice some on barricading doors, etc.  but most of what we do is more like a tabletop exercise.

          Ron.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2013
            At one school I taught ALICE, on fire drill days since they consider the period the drill takes place as a lost period anyway, they practice Lockdown and Counter. They do the fire drill. Kids leave, assemble, etc. and the all clear is given and they return to the classrooms. The teacher then announces a Lockdown / Shooter on Campus drill. The classrooms then go into dark mode, kids grab stuff to throw, talk about escape contingencies, etc. Then the principal and I go to the classes and see how they react. Part of one period every school 1/4 is a start.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2013
              Here's a link to my elementary presentation. Thought I'd share to see if I can get some tips or pointers and also to maybe give you some ideas based on how we are implementing in Akron. The audience is 2nd graders.

              For the drills we decided to go with the critical thinking excercises and we plan to do those after christmas break.

              http://www.akronschools.com/

              Dan

              To: responseoptions@yahoogroups.com
              From: citycop49@...
              Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:10:25 -0800

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2013
                Dan,

                I got to say that is one of the best young elementary presentations that I have seen in 12 years of doing this. I love the way you let the kids almost train themselves. And it shows how much they really already know about dealing with danger. Puts to rest a lot of the myth of "you'll scare the kids talking about this". Truly incredible job.

                If Jeff Mullins is not your immediate Supervisor, please send me the name and email address.

                Do you or Akron Schools have any issues with that video being shared? I assume since it is on the homepage of their website, it is OK to link to, but it is OK to post?

                Thanks again for this work. You are doing your community proud. Stay safe, Greg.

                Greg Crane
                ALICE Training Institute
                3613 Reserve Commons
                Medina, OH 44256
                330-661-0106

                To: responseoptions@yahoogroups.com
                From: citycop49@...
                Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:10:25 -0800

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 2013
                  Thanks Greg, I really appreciate it. It's been fun talking with the little ones. After today we will have done all 33 elementary schools in the city, going from classroom to classroom.

                  Feel free to share\post that video. We filmed it in a way not to show the kids faces so that it could be shared without worrying about privacy.

                  My supervisor is Sgt Jeff McNeil. JMcNeil@...

                  Thanks Again,

                  Dan Bickett

                  Sent from my iPhone