School safety bill - HB178

  • Ron Brooks
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2013

      I just wanted to give everyone an update on Ohio HB 178, the changes to the school safety law.  The original amendments we ask for were to reduce the number of mandatory fire drills from 9 a year to 5 and increase the number of safety drills from 1 to 4 and to eliminate the section that requires locking students in the school.  We felt these changes would better allow the schools to train for an act of violence and still maintain fire safety.

      On Tuesday I got word the amendment had been amended.  Now the wording is that schools will have 6 fire drills and only 3 safety drills, one of which must be a tabletop exercise.  However, if a school does not have smoke detectors they are still required to have all 9 fire drills.  They can run 3 of the 9 fire drills simultaneously with safety drills.

      Not exactly what we wanted but we are still plugging away.

      I testified before the House Education Committee yesterday at the State House in Columbus.  They were very receptive and wondered why we still have the 9 required fire drills. Based on their questions I feel pretty good about getting some changes, I’m just not sure they’re going to be enough if they keep watering things down.

      Ron

    • Greg Crane
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2013
        You are doing great work Ron. Holler if any help is needed.

        Stay safe, Greg

        Greg Crane
        ALICE Training Institute
        3613 Reserve Commons