Fw: FIGHTING: A Self Defense Justification

  • Bob Renzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2013

      Bob,

      Good stuff.  Here’s some of my take.  I’ve got lots more, but….

      ------------

      Zero Tolerance vs. Zero Victimization

      Zero Tolerance as interpreted in many schools (and through the eyes of adults) means

      “You don’t get to hurt anyone, because we don’t allow it.”

      Through the eyes of a CHILD,  ZeroTolerance means

      “I am going to get in trouble especially if I defend myself!”

      So…Is it ok that the school has a policy that punishes the bullied child with equal

      punishment that is given to the bully?

      The radKids program states it this way:
      In radKIDS we believe that these Zero Tolerance policies are unjust and contributory to the bullying

      pandemic we are experiencing today. In fact, in many cases these policies can and do violate a

      child’s right to defend themselves which is supported by law in all 50 states.

      The United Stated Secretary of Education Mr. Arne Duncan declared that:
      “Zero Tolerance policies in regards to Bullying behaviors have failed and do not work.”

      If one child chooses to bully another, the only thing that should be considered is,
      “Did this student intend to engage in behavior that is defined as bullying?”
      If the answer is yes, then punishment is applied due to the choice made by the bully to

      try to hurt or intimidate another child.

      Then, they need to be taught the appropriate physical defenses to protect themselves.

      (enter Don and Bob!)

      Don,

      I just wanted to forward this ongoing messaging dealing with zero tolerance and kids fighting back in schools.  Scroll down to the bottom and work your way up to my opinion at the top.  If you have anything you would like to add, send it to me and I will forward it to our ALICE instructors.

      Bob

      From: Mike Lewis <mikelewismike@...>
      To: responseoptions@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: School bullying
      Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:14:04 -0400 (EDT)

      I am very interested how schools react to your advice. There are times in my district when the school punishes kids for fighting and I find out that one was defending themselves yet still gets school punishment.  The school refers it to me for charges and I tell them it is self defense on one of them and the parent is of course upset because their son/daughter gets suspended.  I understand and stress to kids the fine line between self defense and "some one starting it and I am going to finish it" mentality.  Still when I have a true self defense situation I do not feel the kid needs to be punished yet they do.  What have you seen with other schools.

      Mike Lewis

      From: "Greg Hennecke" <greg.hennecke@...>
      To: <responseoptions@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 22:19:41 -0400

      AMEN!!! Get rid of the zero tolerance policies and let the kids throw a few punches now…..VS throwing bullets later!!!