School bullying

  • culbertron
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2013

      Just heard about a recent study by professor at Univ of Texas into the effects of school bullying programs. Published last month in Journal of Criminology. It found the opposite of what was expected! Students in schools with anti-bullying programs are significantly more likely to be bullied than are students at schools without such programs.

      Maybe it's time the Nanny State figured out that people need to learn how to cope with reality rather than to be coddled in every little way. I'm not in favor of bullying, but we can't bubble wrap everything. Personally, I think this is exactly why we have seen an increase in active shooters in schools...no ability to cope with reality.

      Comments welcome.

      Bill Culbertson

    • Aaron Schlueter
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 10, 2013
        Yes, yes, YES! Kids that can fight back will be much more likely to stop the bullying and as an added bonus, gain self confidence.

        Schlueter
      • Greg Hennecke
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 10, 2013

          AMEN!!! Get rid of the zero tolerance policies and let the kids throw a few punches now…..VS throwing bullets later!!!

          Yes, yes, YES! Kids that can fight back will be much more likely to stop the bullying and as an added bonus, gain self confidence.

          Schlueter

        • Lt. Gary Kong
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 10, 2013
            When I consult with schools and we get to fighting and bullying, I advocate a self defense exemption for fighting. Strict parameters and guidelines, but if a student is cornered and attacked he should not be punished for fighting. To punish a kid who has already been harassed, bullied, attacked, etc. is unfair. He's a victim.

            AMEN!!! Get rid of the zero tolerance policies and let the kids throw a few punches now…..VS throwing bullets later!!!

            Yes, yes, YES! Kids that can fight back will be much more likely to stop the bullying and as an added bonus, gain self confidence.

            Schlueter

          • Bob Renzi
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 12, 2013

              Don,
              Thought this was an interesting finding about bullying.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                I am very interested how schools react to your advice. There are times in my district when the school punishes kids for fighting and I find out that one was defending themselves yet still gets school punishment.  The school refers it to me for charges and I tell them it is self defense on one of them and the parent is of course upset because their son/daughter gets suspended.  I understand and stress to kids the fine line between self defense and "some one starting it and I am going to finish it" mentality.  Still when I have a true self defense situation I do not feel the kid needs to be punished yet they do.  What have you seen with other schools.
                Mike Lewis

                When I consult with schools and we get to fighting and bullying, I advocate a self defense exemption for fighting. Strict parameters and guidelines, but if a student is cornered and attacked he should not be punished for fighting. To punish a kid who has already been harassed, bullied, attacked, etc. is unfair. He's a victim.

                AMEN!!! Get rid of the zero tolerance policies and let the kids throw a few punches now…..VS throwing bullets later!!!

                Yes, yes, YES! Kids that can fight back will be much more likely to stop the bullying and as an added bonus, gain self confidence.

                Schlueter
              • mtokarski
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                  My school does the samething. Parents are tired of their student being punished if they truly agree trying to defend themselves.

                  Sent from my Galaxy S®III

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                    When I get home I'll post the policies that apply and comment on how schools react. Generally, they react well but upper admin and legal counsel fear charges of disparate treatment if the assailant gets suspended and the defender does not. It is simpler for admins to have a zero tolerance policy as it is easier for them, despite the unfairness of it.

                  • kevin@armstobear.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                      Greg, school shooting happening right now at Sparks middle school. 4 victims as of now. Active Killer has been neutralized. Will provide updates as we get them.

                      Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

[...]

                    • Michael C Kimball
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                        Any updates on the school shooting in Sparks?  Is that Sparks, Nevada?

                        Mike

                        Sent from my iPad

[...]

                      • Greg Crane

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                              Greg and all others. I went by sparks middle school, spoke to a friend that is a k9 officer with school police. One teacher dead, two students dead, two others critical and shooter is dead.

                              Kevin
                              Arms to Bear

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 21, 2013
                                Hey Greg, final stats on the school in my home town (Sparks NV) is: One teacher dead, student-shooter dead (self inflicted), two students shot: one treated and released, one shot in stomach, had surgery and stable. Just a note: the teacher was shot center chest. Stay Safe everyone!

                                Kevin R.
                                Arms to Bear
                                Sparks, NV.