2586Re: SRO question

  • Joe Hoffar
    May 12, 2014
      Mike is correct. These are the same requirements we have. California's Police Officers Standards and Training (POST) also put together a training Manual and video back in 2000.

      Atwater, California

      Sent from my iPhone

      Joe Hoffar

      On May 12, 2014, at 1:13 PM, "Michael C Kimball mckimballandassociates@... [responseoptions]" <responseoptions@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Sir it's Mike Kimball in California

      Here in California,with the exception of the school police in larger cities, our school resource officers must be employed by the agency and must have completed the full-time basic academy which is over 600 hours of training.  This is after they have completed a full background check, polygraph, psychological, physical abilities, physical / medical exam, and completed all the testing process is to become a police officer.

      And some agencies the officer must have a minimum of a two year college degree but a four-year degree is preferred

      Following the basic academy they must have successfully completed their field training officer program which could take up to a year

      They must have served on patrol for at least three years before becoming a school resource officer which is considered a special assignment

      All candidates for the special assignment must compete through an oral and written exam

      Once chosen to do school resource officer they are nominated to the school and the school administrators will also interview the officer for the position

      If chosen the school resource officer must attend an additional 80 hours of training prior to taking the position

      Once in the position to school resource officer must continue with ongoing education through the course of the special assignment which is generally a three-year period

      Our school resource officers are expected to do more than just patrol the schools to include attend meetings, attend events, establish relationships with both teachers administration and students, provide educational training for the students and the parents, work gang and drug intervention, assist in facilitating disaster and other emergency drills, assist patrol as needed, handle all school related fights, on or off campus, provide reports to the chief of police, city counsel and school board, attend PTA meetings, etc

      Hope this helps to give a snap shot

      Mike

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 12, 2014, at 11:20 AM, "'Bob Renzi' brenzi@... [responseoptions]" <responseoptions@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have a question to the school resource officers primarily in Ohio, but officers anywhere can also answer.

      Are there any specific state qualifications to become a resource officer within your state? and if yes, what are they?  I am an instructor in Pennsylvania and get this question about our state many times.  Pennsylvania seems to rely mostly on retired policemen to patrol school buildings.

      Also, since we don't have any qualifications stated within our state laws, can you suggest any minimum qualifications that you may think one should have to be an effection resource officer?

      Bob Renzi
      ALICE Instructor

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic