2569Re: Ohio House Bill 178

  • Jason Scherer
    Mar 23, 2014
      House Bill 178 sounds great. We can at least treat the lockdown drill as an enhanced lockdown drill and have the teachers and students practice barricading so that all the drills are related to ALICE.

      This bill is a lot better than HB8 that allows teachers/school employees to carry guns in the school if approved by the board of education.
      They have no idea what training will be required but they think they will just make you have a CCL. That training is a joke and a smack in the face of police officers and the training that they do everyday for the safety of our students.
      I told them how they should be talking about providing teachers/students with options other than sitting in a corner and waiting for police and having teachers carry a gun doesn't need to be one of them.

      I was in Columbus on Wednesday and spoke to my Senators and Representatives against HB8.

      I will call them about supporting HB178.

      Thank you.
      Jason Scherer
      Field Local Schools
      Alice Trained Teacher

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 22, 2014, at 5:29 PM, Ron Brooks <rbrooks@...> wrote:

      He is the link to HB 178 as passed by the House.  In the original bill we asked for 4 safety drills a year and five fire drills.  That was changed to read six fire drills and three safety drills. In addition to the three safety drills the schools are required, under the new bill, to perform a tabletop exercise and one of the three “safety” drills is required to be a lockdown only drill.

      So far it looks like we ended up with tow drills a year that go along with our ALICE training but I think we can make it work.  It’s still better than what we had.

      http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=130_HB_178

      Thanks for everyone’s help.  Now we need to start pushing the Senators.

      Ron.