Re: Re: [reprohealth_india] Urgent - Two child norm in Bihar

  • Abhijit Das
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 11 8:53 PM
      Dear Subhas
      Thanks for the lead.
      Abhijit
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:14 PM
      Subject: Re: Re: [reprohealth_india] Urgent - Two child norm in Bihar

      I have just downloaded data for Bihar from NHFS-# and it looks so horrible that the policy makers should have started loosing their sleep.
      Yes, the TFR has gone up from 3.7 to 4 but why?
      Look at the anaemic condition of children - 89% children are anaemic (age 6 -35 months) and the immunization rate in rural Bihar is only 31.1.
      Yes, it also seems that IMR has been lowered from 78 to 62 but is allowing more anaemic chikldren to survive - one wonders.When every alternate woman's body mass Index is beklow normal and every alternate child has stunted growth what is the future? If the future is dark, then why shouldn't people go in for more children with a hope, someone shall last till their death.
      Please do further analysis before we make the presentation in Bihar
      Love
      Subhash mendhapurkar

      On 2/10/07, Subhash Mendhapurkar <sutrahp@gmail. com> wrote:
      That is good, let us look at NFHS results of Bihar - whter the TFR lowered without the Norm or not?
      Love
      Subhash mendhapurkar

      On 10 Feb 2007 06:07:07 -0000, Narendra < narendra531@ rediffmail. com> wrote:

      Dear colleagues:

      One of the most commonly cited reasons for which two child norm is imposed is to arrest the growth of population. However, the experience is that it never influences demography. Glaring example is Rajasthan, where this Act. is in force since 1994. The growth rate of Rajasthan was 28.44 during the period 1981-91 and it was 28.33 from 1991 to 2001. So we should build our campaign around this argument besides that the two child norm is anti women and anti poor.

      Best regards.

      Narendra

      On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 Mira Shiva wrote :
      >Dear Abhijit ,
      >    1  Please check out the authenticity of the newspaper report .
      >  If it is true Health Watch UP Bihar , Center for Justice , JSA Bihar , BVHA  jointly must seek an appointment with Bihar Health Minister Bihar . Many politicians act on the advice of the Beaurocats & need to be given other data & informationwhich is usually not available .
      >  If ever I am needed I will be there for solidarity .
      >    2  What could be the implications for the MNGO's be if ever such policies  are put in place . Since PFI or CINI are the RRC they should also  be approached .
      >    3  Ms    Jalaja also needs to be approached ,having worked in NHRC ,she needs no convicing
      >    4In NHA 2 Population issue must be revisited ,along with others .
      >  With regards
      >  mira shiva
      >  Abhijit Das <abhijit@sahayogindia.org> wrote:
      >          Dear Friends,
      >  The Bihar Government is on the verge of announcing a two child norm for PRIs. A newspaper article dated 30.1.2006 is pasted below. Apparently a cabinet decision has also been taken to this effect. We need to stall this before the laws are amended in the Assembly. All suggestions and actions are welcome.
      >  Optimistically,
      >  Abhijit
      >

      >------------ --------- --------- ---
      >Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.

      Prayas,
      B -8, Bapu Nagar, Senthi,
      Chittorgarh  312 025
      India
      Tel : +91.1472.243788
      Fax : +91.1472.250044
      URL:www.prayaschittor.org

      --
      Subhash Mendhapurkar
      SUTRA Jagjit nagar 173225H.P.

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 12 5:48 PM
        Dear Mira,
        You are more knowledgable than me on this, from where to get the raw data for analysis, guide us.
        Subhash Mendhapurkar

        On 2/11/07, Mira Shiva <mirashiva@...> wrote:

          Dear Subhash & Abhijit ,
         I am convinced that one of the significant reasons for detiorating Child nutrition ,is the spiralling food prices , Atta , chawal ,Dals , vegetables besides decreasing purchasing power of many .is it possible to also attempt to assess the number of children born with cleft lipd & spina bifida ,as both have close relationship with FOLIC ACID DEFICIENCy ( besides chemicals in food includingpesticides ,\.
        Regards
        Mira Shiva

        On 10 Feb 2007 06:07:07 -0000, Narendra < narendra531@...> wrote:
        Dear colleagues:

        One of the most commonly cited reasons for which two child norm is imposed is to arrest the growth of population. However, the experience is that it never influences demography. Glaring example is Rajasthan, where this Act. is in force since 1994. The growth rate of Rajasthan was 28.44 during the period 1981-91 and it was 28.33 from 1991 to 2001. So we should build our campaign around this argument besides that the two child norm is anti women and anti poor.

        Best regards.

        Narendra

        On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 Mira Shiva wrote :
        >Dear Abhijit ,
        >    1  Please check out the authenticity of the newspaper report .
        >  If it is true Health Watch UP Bihar , Center for Justice , JSA Bihar , BVHA  jointly must seek an appointment with Bihar Health Minister Bihar . Many politicians act on the advice of the Beaurocats & need to be given other data & informationwhich is usually not available .
        >  If ever I am needed I will be there for solidarity .
        >    2  What could be the implications for the MNGO's be if ever such policies  are put in place . Since PFI or CINI are the RRC they should also  be approached .
        >    3  Ms    Jalaja also needs to be approached ,having worked in NHRC ,she needs no convicing
        >    4In NHA 2 Population issue must be revisited ,along with others .
        >  With regards
        >  mira shiva
        >  Abhijit Das <abhijit@sahayogindia.org> wrote:
        >          Dear Friends,
        >  The Bihar Government is on the verge of announcing a two child norm for PRIs. A newspaper article dated 30.1.2006 is pasted below. Apparently a cabinet decision has also been taken to this effect. We need to stall this before the laws are amended in the Assembly. All suggestions and actions are welcome.
        >  Optimistically,
        >  Abhijit
        >

        >---------------------------------
        >Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
        Prayas,
        B -8, Bapu Nagar, Senthi,
        Chittorgarh  312 025
        India
        Tel : +91.1472.243788
        Fax : +91.1472.250044
        URL:www.prayaschittor.org

        --
        Subhash Mendhapurkar
        SUTRA Jagjit nagar 173225H.P.

        --
        Subhash Mendhapurkar
        SUTRA Jagjit nagar 173225H.P.

        Subhash Mendhapurkar
        SUTRA Jagjit nagar 173225H.P.
      • Dr. Geeta Sodhi
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 12 10:04 PM
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 14 11:35 PM

            I completely agree with Mr. Narendra......

            Rajasthan experience also shows that this also results in increasing number of people resorting to, unsafe abortions as well as pre-birth elimination of girl child in want of a baby boy.

            In solidarity with all the efforts.......

            best wishes

            Sindhu Nambiath
            Associate Fellow
            CSD

            On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 Narendra  wrote :

            >Dear colleagues:
            >
            >One of the most commonly cited reasons for which two child norm is imposed is to arrest the growth of population. However, the experience is that it never influences demography. Glaring example is Rajasthan, where this Act. is in force since 1994. The growth rate of Rajasthan was 28.44 during the period 1981-91 and it was 28.33 from 1991 to 2001. So we should build our campaign around this argument besides that the two child norm is anti women and anti poor.
            >
            >Best regards.
            >
            >Narendra
            >

            >On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 Mira Shiva wrote :
            > >Dear Abhijit ,
            > >    1  Please check out the authenticity of the newspaper report .
            > >  If it is true Health Watch UP Bihar , Center for Justice , JSA Bihar , BVHA  jointly must seek an appointment with Bihar Health Minister Bihar . Many politicians act on the advice of the Beaurocats & need to be given other data & informationwhich is usually not available .
            > >  If ever I am needed I will be there for solidarity .
            > >    2  What could be the implications for the MNGO's be if ever such policies  are put in place . Since PFI or CINI are the RRC they should also  be approached .
            > >    3  Ms    Jalaja also needs to be approached ,having worked in NHRC ,she needs no convicing
            > >    4In NHA 2 Population issue must be revisited ,along with others .
            > >  With regards
            > >  mira shiva
            > >  Abhijit Das <abhijit@...> wrote:
            > >          Dear Friends,
            > >  The Bihar Government is on the verge of announcing a two child norm for PRIs. A newspaper article dated 30.1.2006 is pasted below. Apparently a cabinet decision has also been taken to this effect. We need to stall this before the laws are amended in the Assembly. All suggestions and actions are welcome.
            > >  Optimistically,
            > >  Abhijit
            > >

            > >---------------------------------
            > >Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
            >

            >Prayas,
            >B -8, Bapu Nagar, Senthi,
            >Chittorgarh  312 025
            >India
            >Tel : +91.1472.243788
            >Fax : +91.1472.250044
            >URL:www.prayaschittor.org

          • Abhijit Das
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 16 8:51 AM
              UPDATE FROM PATNA:

              I was in Patna on the 14th and 15th of February.
              Health Watch Forum Bihar had a meeting on the 2 child norm and its consequences and decided to take immediate action to get the ordinance repealed. (At present the norm has been introduced through the Model Municipal Ordinance and it will be later extended to the Panchayati Raj Act).
              A delegation of the Health Watch Forum Bihar met the Health Minister and appraised him of the adverse consequences. The Health Minister seemed to grasp the negative impacts, and promised to raise the issue with the Chief Minister. We also met with the Speaker of the Assembly. He was initially of the opinion that the norm was necessary in a poor state like Bihar, but after we made our point that it was not necessarily in the interest of the poor and dalits, he agreed to  participate in a larger public debate on the issue. We also met with the director of ADRI a development research and think tank and shared the adverse impact across the states. He promised to take up the issue once some immediate work he was engaged in was over.
              We also organised a media conference but it was not very well attended.
              A tentative plan of action has been drawn up and a larger meeting with other civil society actors and networks has been planned for the 22nd February

              Abhijit

              > That is what we are trying to get done. Healthwatch
              > Forum Bihar is organising a workshop on this issue
              > on 14th and a press conference on the 15th in Patna.
              > Colleagues from UP and I will be going to Patna for
              > this and we hope to draw up a plan of action
              > immediately.
              > Thanks for you support and solidarity. Other ideas
              > are also welcome.
              > Regards,
              > Abhijit

            • Jashodhara
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 16 10:00 PM

                Congratulations to Abhijit and the colleagues in Bihar who responded promptly to the issue.

                Did anyone volunteer to collect the newspapers on the 16th to scan what coverage it received?

                It would be useful to analyze the media response.

                Now we all need to mobilize people we know to attend the 22 Feb. meeting.

                Please inform others where it is being held and what time.

                Jashodhara

                Abhijit: Can MOHFW not be urged to respond to this? I mean getting key Govt officials to express their views on ? this ? And then the response be made available at this forum? ? How about taking this to the media? Someone like Barkha?

                Geeta Sodhi

                > That is what we are trying to get done. Healthwatch
                > Forum Bihar is organising a workshop on this issue
                > on 14th and a press conference on the 15th in Patna .
                > Colleagues from UP and I will be going to Patna for
                > this and we hope to draw up a plan of action
                > immediately.
                > Thanks for you support and solidarity. Other ideas
                > are also welcome.
                > Regards,
                > Abhijit

              • R K Rai
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 17 1:59 PM
                  Hello,
                  Did some one collect any document i.e. proposed bill or document from government regarding this new norm. Shall be grateful to get the details

                  Rama Kant Rai

                  Abhijit: Can MOHFW not be urged to respond to this? I mean getting key Govt officials to express their views on ? this ? And then the response be made available at this forum? ? How about taking this to the media? Someone like Barkha?

                  Geeta Sodhi

                  > That is what we are trying to get done. Healthwatch
                  > Forum Bihar is organising a workshop on this issue
                  > on 14th and a press conference on the 15th in Patna .
                  > Colleagues from UP and I will be going to Patna for
                  > this and we hope to draw up a plan of action
                  > immediately.
                  > Thanks for you support and solidarity. Other ideas
                  > are also welcome.
                  > Regards,
                  > Abhijit

                • Narendra
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 18 4:21 AM

                    Great Abhijit. Keep it on. Do let me know if we can do anything from this end like writing letters etc.

                    Best.

                    Narendra

                  • Sreela Das Gupta
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 18 8:41 PM
                      Abhijit ~ this is wonderful news. I am sure you have all fronts covered but if you need some of our networks/partners/friends in Bihar to be contacted for the 22nd and beyond, please do let me know.
                      Good luck!
                      Sreela

                      ________________________________

                      Abhijit: Can MOHFW not be urged to respond to this? I mean getting key Govt officials to express their views on ? this ? And then the response be made available at this forum? ? How about taking this to the media? Someone like Barkha?

                      Geeta Sodhi

                      > That is what we are trying to get done. Healthwatch
                      > Forum Bihar is organising a workshop on this issue
                      > on 14th and a press conference on the 15th in Patna.
                      > Colleagues from UP and I will be going to Patna for
                      > this and we hope to draw up a plan of action
                      > immediately.
                      > Thanks for you support and solidarity. Other ideas
                      > are also welcome.
                      > Regards,
                      > Abhijit

                      http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html <http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html>
                    • Abhijit Das
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 18 9:00 PM
                        Dear Sreela,
                        That will be great. We are meeting most probably at the BVHA premises at 2.30, please send the word around.
                        Thanks,
                        Abhijit

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        Abhijit: Can MOHFW not be urged to respond to this? I mean getting key Govt officials to express their views on ? this ? And then the response be made available at this forum? ? How about taking this to the media? Someone like Barkha?

                        Geeta Sodhi

                        > That is what we are trying to get done. Healthwatch
                        > Forum Bihar is organising a workshop on this issue
                        > on 14th and a press conference on the 15th in Patna.
                        > Colleagues from UP and I will be going to Patna for
                        > this and we hope to draw up a plan of action
                        > immediately.
                        > Thanks for you support and solidarity. Other ideas
                        > are also welcome.
                        > Regards,
                        > Abhijit

                      • Mira Shiva
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 18 10:28 PM
                           Dear Abhijit,
                          I wish you meeting goes well . Convey my warm regards to Devika Swapan , Rai Bhai & others .If there is anything I can do do let me know . The State Commission of Women person was a very nice person some years ago , check out .
                          Warm Regards
                          Mira Shiva

                          Be a PS3 game guru.