RE: [reprohealth_india] Re: Ration Dealers Given Target for Sterilization Cases in Rajasthan

  • Gita sen
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013

      So it looks like we are fully back to the bad old days of sterilization targets?

      Gita Sen

      Professor

      Centre for Public Policy

      Indian Institute of Management

      Bannerghata Road

      Bangalore 560076

      India

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 23, 2013
         Dear  all , The clippings  sent by Swarup  were they attached ?  Has the Rajasthan State Govt set target ? Maybe  there is a need to remind  those  in power & decidin on this issu about  the National Population Policy, where targets are clearly  done away with & also that  women  do need & have a right to safe appropriate Contraceptive& reproductive health  care  safely sensitively ,appropriately   delivered .
         I wonder if the statement by West Bengal CM Ms Mamta Banerji was  reported accurately or  misreported , that increased violence & crime  against women are because of increase in population .
        Regards
        Mira

        On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Jashodhara <jashodhara@...> wrote:

        Dear all,
        Thanks to Swarup for sharing these clippings, and maybe it is the same
        in other states/districts.
        We have seen gun licenses being distributed in return for sterilization
        cases to meet the targets.
        If we show these to the GoI or Govt of Raj they will say that it is the
        fault of the District Collectors.
        I feel that Leena and Coalition on 2-Child-Norm and Coercive Popn Pol.
        shd compile all these clippings and put them up in the case for NHRC.
        Jashodhara

        On 22-03-2013 4:01 PM, Swarup Pal wrote:
        > Dear All
        >
        > This is month of March and the state health deptt is searching
        > frantically for sterilization cases to meet the targets, As a result,
        > even the ration dealers are given targets in Bundi to bring 2 cases
        > of sterilization each by the deptt.
        >
        > The attached news clipping says it all.
        >
        > Thanks
        > swarup
        >
        > --
        > ---------------
        > Rajasthan
        > Mob # 09829096288
        > "There is no way to peace, peace is the way"

        --
        (Ms) Jashodhara Dasgupta
        Coordinator
        SAHAYOG
        +91-9910203477
        www.sahayogindia.org

        --
        Dr. Mira Shiva
        Coordinator
        Initiative for Health & Equity in Society
        A-60, Hauz Khas
        New Delhi - 110 016
        Tel: 91-11-26512385, Mob:91 9810582028
      • Kamayani
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 24, 2013
          Dear Mira

          Youc an find news item  on my blog here

          http://kractivist.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/ration-dealers-given-target-for-sterilization-cases-in-rajasthan-populationcontrol-coercion-wtfnews/

          On 23 March 2013 14:33, Dr MIRA SHIVA <mirashiva@...> wrote:

           Dear  all , The clippings  sent by Swarup  were they attached ?  Has the Rajasthan State Govt set target ? Maybe  there is a need to remind  those  in power & decidin on this issu about  the National Population Policy, where targets are clearly  done away with & also that  women  do need & have a right to safe appropriate Contraceptive& reproductive health  care  safely sensitively ,appropriately   delivered .
           I wonder if the statement by West Bengal CM Ms Mamta Banerji was  reported accurately or  misreported , that increased violence & crime  against women are because of increase in population .
          Regards
          Mira

          On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Jashodhara <jashodhara@...> wrote:

          Dear all,
          Thanks to Swarup for sharing these clippings, and maybe it is the same
          in other states/districts.
          We have seen gun licenses being distributed in return for sterilization
          cases to meet the targets.
          If we show these to the GoI or Govt of Raj they will say that it is the
          fault of the District Collectors.
          I feel that Leena and Coalition on 2-Child-Norm and Coercive Popn Pol.
          shd compile all these clippings and put them up in the case for NHRC.
          Jashodhara

          On 22-03-2013 4:01 PM, Swarup Pal wrote:
          > Dear All
          >
          > This is month of March and the state health deptt is searching
          > frantically for sterilization cases to meet the targets, As a result,
          > even the ration dealers are given targets in Bundi to bring 2 cases
          > of sterilization each by the deptt.
          >
          > The attached news clipping says it all.
          >
          > Thanks
          > swarup
          >
          > --
          > ---------------
          > Rajasthan
          > Mob # 09829096288
          > "There is no way to peace, peace is the way"

          --
          (Ms) Jashodhara Dasgupta
          Coordinator
          SAHAYOG
          +91-9910203477
          www.sahayogindia.org

          --
          Dr. Mira Shiva
          Coordinator
          Initiative for Health & Equity in Society
          A-60, Hauz Khas
          New Delhi - 110 016
          Tel: 91-11-26512385, Mob:91 9810582028

          --
          Adv Kamayani Bali Mahabal
          +919820749204

          Hey folks, coined this term ” Kracktivism “, check out my blog
          http://kractivist.wordpress.com/Kracktivism

          Blog for girl child-  http://fassmumbai.wordpress.com/

          Blog for Kashmir -http://kashmirsolidaritymumbai.wordpress.com/

          Blog for KKM defence Committee-  http://kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com

          https://twitter.com/#!/Kracktivist

          https://www.facebook.com/kamayani

          *I carry a torch in one hand
          And a bucket of water in the other:
          With these things I am going to set fire to Heaven
          And put out the flames of Hell
          So that voyagers to God can rip the veils
          And see the real goal.......
          Rabia (Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya)
          *

        • manjari bundi
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 27, 2013
            Dear Professor Sen

            We as a group in Rajasthan ( Child Rights Protection Campaign ) is
            interested to put up evidence in front of the govt. showing that
            coercive population policy including this two child policy of the
            govt. may worsen the child sex ratio in the state. Could you suggest
            if any research has been done on this issue or could any research be
            done ? We, in the Campaign are interested to look into the issue in
            detail and put up the evidence.

            Thanks and Regards
            Swarup

            On 3/22/13, Gita sen <Gita@...> wrote:
            > So it looks like we are fully back to the bad old days of sterilization
            > targets?
            >

            > Gita Sen
            >
            > Professor
            >
            > Centre for Public Policy
            >
            > Indian Institute of Management
            >
            > Bannerghata Road
            >
            > Bangalore 560076
            >
            > India
            >

            > Tel: (o) +91 80 2699 3076

            ---------------------------------
            Manjari
            C/O Shri Durgalal Sharma
            Subhash Nagar Colony
            Behind Panchayat Samiti
            Ward # 16, Nainwa
            Bundi 323801
            Rajasthan
            Ph # 09829096288
            Email- bundi.manjari@...
          • Dr MIRA SHIVA

              Thanks to Swarup for sharing these clippings, and maybe it is the same
              in other states/districts.
              We have seen gun licenses being distributed in return for sterilization
              cases to meet the targets.
              If we show these to the GoI or Govt of Raj they will say that it is the
              fault of the District Collectors.
              I feel that Leena and Coalition on 2-Child-Norm and Coercive Popn Pol.
              shd compile all these clippings and put them up in the case for NHRC.
              Jashodhara

              On 22-03-2013 4:01 PM, Swarup Pal wrote:
              > Dear All
              >
              > This is month of March and the state health deptt is searching
              > frantically for sterilization cases to meet the targets, As a result,
              > even the ration dealers are given targets in Bundi to bring 2 cases
              > of sterilization each by the deptt.
              >
              > The attached news clipping says it all.
              >
              > Thanks
              > swarup
              >
              > --
              > ---------------
              > Rajasthan
              > Mob # 09829096288
              > "There is no way to peace, peace is the way"

              --
              (Ms) Jashodhara Dasgupta
              Coordinator
              SAHAYOG
              +91-9910203477
              www.sahayogindia.org

              ******************************************* Disclaimer ***************************************************
              This email message, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the originally intended addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and /or confidential. If you have received this email in error or otherwise, please delete it and contact the originator immediately. You should not copy or forward it on or otherwise use the contents, attachments, or information in any way without the express permission of the originator. Any such unauthorized use or disclosure may be unlawful.

            • Subhash Mendhapurkar
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
                SUTRA has collected data on families who hav completed family formation - meaning one of the spouse went for terminal methods. The data shows that when family formation is complete with 2 children, the child sex ratio is 672 girls per thousand boys. The sex ratio starts improving when you start adding data from those families who have more than two children.
                The information on number of children with sex is available with every Chief Medical Officer (the consent forms filled before sterlisation requires this information).
                Agree that CMOs are not very forthcoming to share the info, but we got it under RTI from 9 districts out o 10. The 10th CMO cited the reasons of manpower shortage and agreed to make records available to us.
                So if you want to have evidence please collect the data.
                If  you need anymore info, write to us, we can supply you the format developed for the collection of info
                Regards

                --
                Subhash Mendhapurkar
                SUTRA Jagjit nagar 173225H.P.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
                    Dear Swarup
                    One can say there is definite link between low sex ratio (child) and low fertility rate- the reasons may vary, but can not directly relate this to sex selective abortions.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
                    I thought I have sent the format, OK, here it is once again attached