Re: {FEM} The Role of Men in the Increasing Violence Against Women - Invitation for Meeting on 11 January 2013

  • Subhash Mendhapurkar
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
      Dear all
      It is good that engagement and others are getting together for this meeting. Unfortunately prior commitments shall keep me physically away from all of you, but I am with you all
      Subhash Mendhapurkar

      On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Satish Singh <satish@...> wrote:
      Dear All,

      Members of Forum to Engage Men for gender equality (FEM) are deeply shocked and condemn the recent gang rape in a Delhi bus. However, we would also like to express our concern about how we address the issues of violence. Many of the measures being suggested in the media– increased police protection, clear bus windows, etc., while important, may only be addressing the symptoms when it is now imperative to address the disease – deep seated issues of gender inequalities and masculinities that allow these atrocities to happen.

      Over the years there has been a growing acknowledgement of the need to work with men for addressing violence against women and for promoting gender equality. This is important because otherwise the issue gets framed as a women’s issue and men’s culpability as a ‘gender’ (group) gets ignored and many men who personally may not use ‘violence’, get disassociated from this larger gendered social problem. There is also a growing understanding that men’s relationship to power is not limited to gender (female-male) issues and needs to be situated within a more nuanced understanding of masculinities or men’s relationship and experience of power, privilege and subordination along different social axes and cultural domains.

      When the OBR India campaign was launched on 24th November 2012, at Jamia Milia Islamia, members of various organisations, networks and concerned individuals reiterated to stand up against violence. The OBR campaign signed by 160 countries worldwide, saw a launch in India where Dr. Abhijit Das representing the men’s network FEM and MASVAW stated that men stand in unison with women and take a pledge to end violence this violence.

      Millions of Indian men are impacted by the hegemonic notions that men must express their power through aggressive and violent behavior. We must establish that it is not a “natural” inclination that makes men violent, but a flawed construction of masculinity that thrives due to the way society promotes patriarchy and its control over women. It is time for us, as men, to engage other men in this discussion, time for men to show that we can lead non-violent lives, and to stand up for women’s right to live free from the fear of gender based discrimination.

      To address this, Forum to Engage Men, along with Centre for Health and Social Justice and SANGAT South Asia are organising a meeting on 11th January 2013, to discuss ways to engage men in this struggle of gender equality. We would like to reach out to men and help them explore the various compulsions that patriarchy and hegemonic forms of masculinities put on them. We call upon all concerned men and boys to come forward and reflect and question their own positions around the issue of violence and gender equality.

      We would like to get in touch with men and boys from different sectors in Delhi and for this, would like to request you to nominate some men from your work area/ community whom we can invite for this meeting. Also, a list of any other men/ groups like various trade unions or universities would be highly appreciated. Please send us contact details of men whom you think are in a process of self evaluation. We would like to create a forum where they can talk, share, learn and discuss ways forward.

      The concept note (in English and Hindi) and the brochure of FEM are attached with this mail.

      Date: 11 January 2013

      Time: 11am to 5pm

      Venue: Centre for Health and Social Justice, Basement of Young Women’s Hostel No. 2, Avenue 21, G Block, Saket, New Delhi-110017 (Map attached)

      For any query, you can get in touch with Lavanya Mehra at lavanya@... or Anita Gulati at anita@....

      Please refer to www.femindia.net for further details. There is also a registration form – for University students or group participation, available at http://www.femindia.net/meeting-registration-form.html

      Best Regards

      Satish Kumar Singh

      --
      Centre for Health and Social Justice
      Basement of Young Women's Hostel No. 2 (Near Bank of India)

      --
      FEM Facilitation Office
      Centre for Health and Social Justice
      Basement of Young Women's Hostel No. 2,
      Avenue 21, G Block,
      Saket, New Delhi-110017
      Telephone: 91-11-26511425, 26535203
      Telefax: 91-11- 26536041
      Web: www.chsj.org
      Web: www.femindia.net

      Groups "engagingmen" group.
      engagingmen+unsubscribe@...
      For more options, visit this group at
      http://groups.google.com/group/engagingmen?hl=en

      --
      Subhash Mendhapurkar
      SUTRA Jagjit nagar 173225H.P.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
        Greetings fr5om JJBVK-SAMASTIPUR.
        Thanks for this information. Our group organised Candle March &
        Condolence for this occurance today in samastipur district headquarter
        of Bihar state.

      • suraj yadav
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
          Thanks for your kind information

          On 12/29/12, Subhash Mendhapurkar <sutrahp@...> wrote:
> [...]
          >>
          >> The concept note (in English and Hindi) and the brochure of FEM are
          >> attached with this mail.
          >>

          >> *Date*: 11 January 2013
          >>
          >> *Time*: 11am to 5pm
          >>
          >> *Venue*: Centre for Health and Social Justice, Basement of Young Women’s
          >> Hostel No. 2, Avenue 21, G Block, Saket, New Delhi-110017 (Map attached)
          >>

          >> For any query, you can get in touch with Lavanya Mehra at
          >> lavanya@... Anita Gulati at
          >> anita@....
          >>

          >> Please refer to www.femindia.net for further details. There is also a
          >> registration form – for University students or group participation,
          >> available at http://www.femindia.net/meeting-registration-form.html
          >>

          >> Best Regards
          >>

          >> Satish Kumar Singh
          >> --
          >> Centre for Health and Social Justice
          >> Basement of Young Women's Hostel No. 2 (Near Bank of India)

        • Jaydeep Sengupta
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2012
            Dear All,

            I feel encouraged and delighted that such a forum has been formed and I wish its success. The shameful incident is a scar in the face of humanity, it brings out futility of our "glorious civilisation". I think we are losing out our conscience and culture of humanity. Cities and metros are growing day by day alien to people who stay here and come from various distant places.

            In saying so I brief a small incident that happened today as I was riding a bus covering a very short distance between Golpark to Hindusthan park of South Kolkata at 12 noon. The bus had all the seats filled up and traveling with us was a woman with her very young daughter. The lady was supposed to get down at Rashbehari (came to know as I heard bus conductor expressing his irritation as the lady asked him), which comes after Hindusthan park. It seemed that the lady has come from sub-urban region and hence she was anxious as she had no idea where Rashbehari is located. With anxiety she asked with hesitation to many others-to the conductors, to other commuters. She was trying to read the addresses over the shops and billboards but it appeared that she could hardly make out the places as they passed by. To my surprise I did not find any body not even the conductor, not even other young girls willingly helping the lady, trying to comfort her saying "I'll alert you as you come close to Rashbehari". What has happened to my old Kolkata that once sportingly helped every strangers, commuters and persons new to the city!! I feel terribly shameful for not being able to accompany the lady till she reached as I had someone waiting for me at my bus stop. I feel sorry. By now she must have reached her place. Hopefully so!!

            Can this prospective forum engage youth to make cities friendlier and familiar. Can we bring back the tradition of helping others as they travel across the city? Can we ask municipalities and corporations for street names and addresses to be well displayed publicly and in atleast 3 languages-English/Hindi/Local language? Can our buses be well marked? Can we put any sort of regulation of over-the-counter sale of liqour during night hours? Can we keep up the habit of 'older days'  of asking traffic police, street vendors and local person for locating a place besides using our hi-end gadgets that locates places at a finger touch but makes one extremely alone? I know these will not reduce incidents of rape and sexual assault but atleast a good networked city can be friendly and comforting to all.

            Best wishes for the next year,
            Jaydeep

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                reprohealth_india-digest@yahoogroups.com
                reprohealth_india-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Jaydeep Sengupta.
            221(A/63),New Raipur. P.O-Garia. kolkata-700084.