Re: [reprohealth_india] FW: GIVE US YOUR VOICE TO TAKE TO THE U.N. ON NOVEMBER 26

  • Shafiq R. Khan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 22, 2012
      Hello Professor Gita

      She is Rita Banerji  here is her blog http://ritabanerji.wordpress.com/ and http://genderbytes.wordpress.com/ I know her because I was Interviewed for her Blog

      She is running many blogs on issues related to Gender.

      With Regards

      Shafiq ur-Rahman Khan

      (+91) 9990452079  (Drop a message before call)

      http://www.empowerpeople.org.in/

      Skype - srkhandelhi  Twitter - ShafiqRkhan    Facebook - /shafiqurrahmankhanyusufzai

      डरो नहीं चूहे आखिर चूहे ही हैं ,जीवन की महिमा नष्ट नहीं कर पाएंगे

      हर दौर कभी तो खत्म हुआ करता है .जब हम इतने लाख बर्ष चल कर आये हैं

      तो आगे भी चल कर ही जायेंगे ,आयेंगे ,उजले दिन जरूर आयेंगे .

      On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Gita sen <Gita@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know what this campaign is, and who is organizing it? They seem to be gathering a lot of signatures internationally using the language of femicide, foeticide, etc.

      Gita Sen

      Professor

      Centre for Public Policy

      Indian Institute of Management

      Bannerghata Road

      Bangalore 560076

      India

      Tel: (o) +91 80 2699 3076

      GIVE US YOUR VOICE TO TAKE TO THE U.N. ON NOVEMBER 26

      Posted by Manvendra Bhangui (cause leader)

      Tell your friends about this

      ON November 26 the U.N. will hold it's first International symposium to end Femicide (the killing of women and girls because of their gender)in Vienna, Austria. This is momentous and one of the goals our campaign has been working towards for the last 6 years!

      Our campaign founder, Rita Banerji, will also be speaking at this symposium. But she also wants to take to them the voice of our public support lobby group -- that's you! For that she will submit to them our public petition demanding government and international accountability. WE ARE HOPING THAT BY NOV 26 WE CAN GET AT LEAST 500,000 SIGNATURES TO SUBMIT TO THE U.N.

      Click on this link to hear an excerpt of Rita's speech to the U.N. and see details of the symposium http://links.causes.com/s/clGcao?r=bhOK

      And MOST IMPORTANTLY ADD YOUR SIGNATURE TO OUR PETITION AND URGE YOUR FACEBOOK FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME. EVERY VOICE COUNTS. click here to sign http://links.causes.com/s/clGcap?r=bhOK

      Want to get involved? See this note on Causes

      Error! Filename not specified.

      Address: Causes, 88 Kearny St, Suite 2100, San Francisco, CA 94108 United States | Privacy Policy
      To stop receiving emails, unsubscribe.

      Error! Filename not specified.

      ******************************************* Disclaimer ***************************************************
      This email message, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the originally intended addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and /or confidential. If you have received this email in error or otherwise, please delete it and contact the originator immediately. You should not copy or forward it on or otherwise use the contents, attachments, or information in any way without the express permission of the originator. Any such unauthorized use or disclosure may be unlawful.

    • Jashodhara
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 26, 2012
        Dear Gita and all,
        I do not know who this organization is, but I am increasingly appalled at the extent of anti-abortion sentiment in wider circles of society such as doctors and lawyers. I was part of a Lok Sabha TV show "Gender Discourse" recently and found the arguments of my co-panelists very strange.
        You can watch it on Wednesday 28th November at 9am on live web-streaming of Lok Sabha TV - http://loksabhatv.nic.in/index.aspx
        Jashodhara

        On 23-11-2012 3:52 AM, Gita sen wrote:

        Does anyone know what this campaign is, and who is organizing it? They seem to be gathering a lot of signatures internationally using the language of femicide, foeticide, etc.

        Gita Sen

        Professor

        Centre for Public Policy

        Indian Institute of Management

        Bannerghata Road

        Bangalore 560076

        India

        Tel: (o) +91 80 2699 3076

          (Ms) Jashodhara Dasgupta Coordinator SAHAYOG +91-9910203477 www.sahayogindia.org

      • Subhash
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 26, 2012
          Dear Geeta
          I am first time hearing this Group, we actually need to find out who r these people and what are they up
          Regards
          Subhash Mendhapurkar

          --- In reprohealth_india@yahoogroups.com, "Gita sen" <Gita@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > 0&cause_id=74219&causes_ref=email&template=activity_mailer%2Fnew_activit
          > y&user_id=9711352&utm_campaign=action_email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=
          > causes> .
          >
          > Error! Filename not specified.
          >

          > ******************************************* Disclaimer ***************************************************
          > This email message, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the originally intended addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and /or confidential. If you have received this email in error or otherwise, please delete it and contact the originator immediately. You should not copy or forward it on or otherwise use the contents, attachments, or information in any way without the express permission of the originator. Any such unauthorized use or disclosure may be unlawful.

        • Dr. Sandeep Ghiya
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
          • 1 Attachment
          • 19 KB
          Dear Gita / All,

          Did some digging around and this is what I have come up with:

          === QUOTE from http://genderbytes.wordpress.com/about/ ===
          "The 50 Million Missing Campaign was founded in December 2006 by author and gender-activist Rita Banerji.  Today it is an extensive, online, international campaign, which runs on volunteer effort and zero funds!  It works steadfastly on boosting public awareness on issues concerning India’s female genocide, and spearheading action for change."

          === About Rita Banerji from http://ritabanerji.wordpress.com/ ===
          "Rita Banerji is an author, photographer and  gender activist. Her book  Sex and Power: Defining History, Shaping Societies was released by Penguin Books in 2008 (Penguin Global, 2009).  She is also the founder and chief administrator of The 50 Million Missing, an online, global campaign working to stop the ongoing female genocide in India."

          =============

          Hope this helps.

          Please do not hesitate to contact me for any clarification.

          Thanks and regards,

          Dr. Sandeep Ghiya

          Message 5 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
            Dear Priya,
            This is what Gita had originally sent out -
            On November 26 the U.N. will hold it's first International symposium to end Femicide (the killing of women and girls because of their gender)in Vienna, Austria. This is momentous and one of the goals our campaign has been working towards for the last 6 years! Our campaign founder, Rita Banerji, will also be speaking at this symposium. But she also wants to take to them the voice of our public support lobby group -- that's you! For that she will submit to them our public petition demanding government and international accountability. WE ARE HOPING THAT BY NOV 26 WE CAN GET AT LEAST 500,000 SIGNATURES TO SUBMIT TO THE U.N.
            This is one link - http://www.causes.com/causes/74219-the-50-million-missing-a-campaign-against-india-s-female-genocide/actions/1693071

            On 27-11-2012 1:55 PM, Priya Nanda wrote:

            Dear Jashodhara

            I could not see any emails about the campaign or organization—in the trail of emails below.  Could you please send that to me.  Thanks priya

            Priya Nanda, Ph.D

            --
            (Ms) Jashodhara Dasgupta
            Coordinator

          • Priya Nanda
            Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012

              Thanks. I just checked and this is a quick bio on Rita Banerji.  I think we should write to her –that including abortion within her definition of ‘crimes against women’ is extremely problematic.   I know Wikipedia is not the best source but yet reading her bio was very illuminating-she is a conservationist! and now has taken gender as her cause. Her campaign is online and will reach out to many people whose opinions will be ‘informed’ by her perspectives ...

              Priya

              Rita Banerji is an author, photographer and gender activist from India. Her non-fiction book Sex and Power: Defining History, Shaping Societies was published by Penguin Books, India, in 2008. She is the founder of The 50 Million Missing Campaign, a grassroots, advocacy campaign, supported by an online community,to raise global awareness about the ongoing female gendercide in India.

              Contents

               [hide

              [edit] Early life

              Banerji was born and raised in India. Her family moved frequently and so she grew up in 17 towns around the country. At age 18, she moved to the U.S., where she attended Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts, and later, The George Washington University in Washington D.C.[1]

              [edit] Early career

              Banerji started her career as an environmentalist. Her field of specialization was in Conservation Biology. In 1995 she received the Amy Lutz award in Plant Biology from the Association for Women in Science (AWIS) in Washington D.C. for her Ph.D. thesis work on the effects of acid rain on seed germination and seedling establishment of Zea mays (corn) . Other awards and recognitions she has received include[2] : Morgan Adams Award in Biology for Ph.D. Research; Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, Associate member; Botanical Society of America’s Young Botanist Recognition Award; Charles A. Dana[disambiguation needed] Fellowship for Research in Ecology; Howard Hughes Grant for research in genetics. She is also received an award for Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges in recognition of outstanding merit. Many of Banerji’s projects had a gender perspective. She has worked with the Chipko women’s grassroots movement in India, under the tutelage of eco-feminist Vandana Shiva. She has also worked with the policy think tanks, the Institute for Policy Studies and The World Resources Institute in Washington D.C.[3]

              [edit] Transition to Writing and Gender Activism

              At the age of 30 Banerji returned to India and found herself at a career crossroad in her life. She now felt she needed a work venue through which she could more directly explore and articulate her vision, beliefs and understanding of the world. She began to write and do photography. Where her earlier projects dealt with gender roles in environmental and resource management, her writings now focused more intensely on the issues of gender equality and women's rights in India.[4] Her writings and photos have been published in a range of journals and magazines in different countries[5] In 2009 she received the Apex Award of Excellence for Magazine and Journal Writing.[6]

              [edit] Sex and Power

              Banerji’s non-fiction book Sex and Power:Defining History, Shaping Societies was first published by Penguin Books, India in 2008. The book was the result of a five-year,detailed, social and historical study of sex and sexuality in India.[7] In here, Banerji asks the question why India, which worships an icon like the lingam-yoni,that built temples in the past with erotic art like those at Khajuraho, and wrote literature like the Kama Sutra on the art and science of love-making, is squeamish about sex today.[8] She concludes that for any community the precincts of sexual morality keep changing over time, and in any given period, is determined by whoever is in power at that time [9] The book which was long-listed for The Vodafone Crossword Non-Fiction Book Award (2008)[10] has been described as “an extraordinary take on a subject that is still considered a taboo, [and] a new interpretation of Indian history.”[11]

              [edit] The 50 Million Missing Campaign

              In December 2006 Banerji founded The 50 Million Missing Campaign,[12] as an online advocacy campaign to raise global awareness about the female gendercide in India. The campaign was first launched on Flickr, a community platform for photo sharing and open discussions. The 50 Million Missing Photographers Group on flickr is now supported by more than 2400 photographers, and has thousands of photos of Indian girls and women to serve as powerful visual reminder of the women that have been eliminated from the country[13] Since its launch the campaign has grown and spread to other social networking sites and also runs information blogs. It is a zero-fund campaign and runs on community effort and participation. The campaign was a consequence of Banerji’s book Sex and Power. She says, “The data on the systemic and mass-scale violence on Indian women and girls I was gathering for my book was playing out in its stark grotesqueness in my everyday reality. A baby girl is abandoned on the streets in my city, and as residents wait for the police to respond, street dogs kill her and start eating her…I saw the connection and for the first time felt uneasy, ashamed and outraged.”[14] In the final section of the book Banerji observes that the three worst disasters that India faces in the 21st-century, are population explosion, an AIDS epidemic, and the female gendercide. These she concludes are a result of India's deeply patriarchal and conservative approach to women and sexual morality, and the “socialized dichotomy" of men from women, and sex from the sacred.[15] In an interview with The Big Issue in the NorthBanerji says the underlying problem with all three issues is a "virulent patriarchy that is self-indulgent...through [its practice of] multiple partners and irresponsible sex, and it essentially views women as sexual commodities to be used and discarded at will. A woman's only worth is in her production of sons for the continuation of the patriarchy. So daughters are routinely discarded before or soon after birth."[16]

              [edit] Contradictory views on India’s female Gendercide

              Banerji has strongly argued against the accepted view that education and economic development are the solution to India’s female gendercide.[17] . She points to the fact that India’s census data clearly shows that the sex ratio is worst in the top 20% of the population that is wealthiest and most educated. Furthermore, the sex ratio is closest to natural human sex ratio in the bottom 20% of the population that represents the nation’s poorest and illiterate sections. She says a comparative analysis of the sex ratios among villages, regions and states also clearly shows that with greater economic development, in terms of increased access to education, health care, jobs, and earnings, there is more sex-selective abortions against females and a corresponding decline in the overall sex ratio. She says, it is also seen that more the number of educational degrees women have, the more likely they are to eliminate daughters through sex-selection. Banerji also talks about how high-income earning, professional women in India too are victims of dowry violence and murder.[18] Their education and wealth is no protection, because they are unable to fight off the family and cultural pressures on them to remain in the marriage, regardless of the violence they are subjected to. Banerji contends that it is not economics or education, but rather a cultural misogyny that is the prime factor in India’s female gendercide. She says this is most evident in how culture specific crimes like dowry murders and ‘honor’ killings hound expatriate Indian women too, and sex-selected abortion is so prevalent, that the Indian communities in certain western countries like the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Norway too have sex ratios that are abnormally skewed against females.[19] . Banerji asserts that the gendercide needs to be recognized as a gender based hate crime against women, what Diana Russell has termed as ‘Femicide,’ and be dealt with in the same manner as other hate crimes based on race, religion or ethnicity.[20] . She explains that this lethal hatred of females is rooted in India’s history, religions and traditions, which over the centuries have created a socially permissive environment for extreme and deadly violence against females. She calls this “the acculturation of female homicide.” She says,“terms [like] sati, bride-burning, dowry death, doodh-peeti, kuri-mar, and johar…[are each] a method of female homicide that was [or still is] widely practised, widely accepted, and culturally-specific to India... When a practice acquires a name in a society, it becomes acceptable at the subconscious level of that community's collective thinking. Its premise becomes sacrosanct, and the lines between crime and culture, and what is permissible and reprehensible, become blurred. It is this deep, historically-rooted acculturation of female homicide that is sustaining female genocide in India. [21]

              [edit] A Call for a Feminist Revolution in India

              According to Banerji the women’s movement in India has never had a sexual revolution for women in India, the kind the feminist movements in the west have had. This she argues, is significant from the point of view of establishing each woman’s independent and individual rights and choices over her own body and sexuality.[22] She believes it is very important for the women’s movement in India to have such a revolution particularly in context of putting the gendercide in perspective for Indian society.[23] As she points out, this is because, “It is about the recognition of women as individuals with certain fundamental rights, including that of safety and personal choices, which no one, not even the family, can violate… A girl or woman, within the Indian cultural context, is regarded as a family’s property. She does not have the ownership of her own body… And so it is the parents, the husbands, and in-laws who have the prerogative to decide and make the choices regarding a girl or a woman’s being. Whether or not she is allowed to live [before or] after birth…Who she can or cannot marry… Her husband is entitled to sex whether she wants it or not. He decides when and how many children he wants and what sex they should be. He and his family can torture her to extort more dowry wealth, or subjugate her to repeated pregnancies and excruciating abortions to rid female progeny as always is the case with female feticides…[There is] yet another constrictive, dictatorial authority that asserts its power over an individual woman’s being in India – that of culture and society. It decides what constitutes the prototype of a “good Indian woman” – and directs everything from her demeanor and costume, to what her roles and goals in society ought to be..[24]

              Priya Nanda, Ph.D

              Director - Social & Economic Development Group

              International Center for Research on Women (ICRW)

              Asia Regional Office

              C-139, Defence Colony, New Delhi-110024

              www.icrw.org

              Tel: 91+11+24635141, 24654216, 46643333

              Fax: 91+11+24635142.

              Message 7 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
                I am wondering too , this petition has come to me several times in the last 3 days from all and sundry. People who have absolutely no  idea of the issue or the cause. It is becoming fashionable these days to float such campaigns. Must put an end to this one fast.
                Rgds
                Meeta

                On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Subhash <sutrahp@...> wrote:

> [...]

                > 0&cause_id=74219&causes_ref=email&template=activity_mailer%2Fnew_activit
                > y&user_id=9711352&utm_campaign=action_email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=
                > causes> .
                >
                > Error! Filename not specified.
                >

                > ******************************************* Disclaimer ***************************************************
                > This email message, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the originally intended addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and /or confidential. If you have received this email in error or otherwise, please delete it and contact the originator immediately. You should not copy or forward it on or otherwise use the contents, attachments, or information in any way without the express permission of the originator. Any such unauthorized use or disclosure may be unlawful.

              • Kamayani

[...]

                  Adv Kamayani Bali Mahabal
                  +919820749204
                  skype-lawyercumactivist

                  Hey folks, coined this term ” Kracktivism “, check out my blog
                  http://kractivist.wordpress.com/Kracktivism

                  Blog for girl child-  http://fassmumbai.wordpress.com/

                  Blog for Kashmir -http://kashmirsolidaritymumbai.wordpress.com/

                  Blog for KKM defence Committee-  http://kabirkalamanch.wordpress.com

                  https://twitter.com/#!/Kracktivist

                  https://www.facebook.com/kamayani

                  *I carry a torch in one hand
                  And a bucket of water in the other:
                  With these things I am going to set fire to Heaven
                  And put out the flames of Hell
                  So that voyagers to God can rip the veils
                  And see the real goal.......
                  Rabia (Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya)
                  *

                • Gita sen
                  Message 9 of 10 , Nov 29, 2012

                    It would be good if someone could contact her and discuss this?