10 May - Government hospitals to go private in UP

  • Jashodhara
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2010
      Government hospitals to go private in UP

      It is aimed at improving health care services in the state under the public-private- partnership (PPP) model

      http://igovernment. in/site/governme nt-hospitals- go-private- 37492

      Published on 05/03/2010 - 11:14:35 AM

      Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to hand over public hospitals to private chains like Apollo and Fortis under the public-private-partnership (PPP) model to improve health care services in the state, an official said.

      Fifty per cent of the beds in these hospitals will be kept for free patients, reports IANS.

      "Since we have already taken a policy decision to enter into a public-private-partnership (PPP) to improve health services in the state, we propose to start with the handing over of a few hospitals in private hands in four districts of the state", a Health Department spokesman said.

      It is learnt that the state government initially proposes to hand over its hospitals in four districts — Kanpur (Urban), Allahabad, Firozabad and Basti.

      "Leading hospital chains like Apollo, Fortis and Max were among the nine health care companies short-listed as the potential players for the proposed takeover," the spokesman said.

      The final selection would be made by a committee that will evaluate the bids on May 10.

      Besides the district hospitals, the administration of 8 community health centres, 23 primary health centres and 210 sub-centres would be transferred to the private players.

      Under the proposed contract, 50 per cent of the beds in these hospitals would be reserved for free services, wherein priority would be given to those living below the poverty line.

      The private player would be entitled to fix its own charges for the remaining 50 per cent beds.

      "Wherever the private partner adds new beds and facilities, it would be entitled to a higher share of 75 per cent, leaving the remaining 25 per cent open for free services," the spokesman said.

      The free services will include all diagnostic facilities as well as medicine.

      According to the contract, the administration of these hospitals would be entrusted to the private partners for a period of 33 years. And a six-month period has been prescribed for the handing over process.

      The existing government staff would be given the option to switch over to the private employer or continue to be in government service.

    • Jashodhara
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2010
      Dear friends,
      Thank you all very much for your expressions of solidarity and support, and suggestions on how to take this forward.
      I attach for your information the first critique of the Bid Document developed by Dr.Abhijit Das on 6th May. We understand that the bids will not be finalized on 10 May 2010 since the Request for Proposals has not yet gone out to the shortlisted bidders.
      I am very glad to inform you that an initial civil society meeting was held in Lucknow on 6th May. An Action Plan was developed by those present and endorsed by those supporting the effort who could not attend (please see attached for participant list, action plan and news coverage).
      We welcome additional inputs and ideas from all of you, and hope to work together on this.
      Thank you all once again,
      In solidarity,
      Jashodhara
    • Dr MIRA SHIVA
      Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2010
         Dear Jashodhara ,
         Thanks for sending this. It is very iportant that action is being planned . I saw the newspapers reports of Apollow , Max , Fortis bidding for UP Health Care ..
        Unfortunately the attatchmnts were not opening . I was as with others who believe instrengthened Public Health systems was ajitated on reading about the privatization .
        abhijit's alert was very important .
        I had a long discussion with Mr SP Shukla who was our GATT Ambassador , former Finance Secretary as well as Health secretary about Firms opening up Medical Colleges etc . The one
        that is most agitating is the Vedanta University  and the Medical College.
        He advised that  since it is not just a UP Phenomenon , others should join  in this protest against Privatization, Corporatization Commercialization and the role of Policy makers at Centre and states towards this ensuring unaffordibility  to large majority , which can hardly access afford adequate Food .
        When JNU students were protesting when Mr Chidambaram visited it , against the neglect of the tribals , quoting Arjun Sen Committee Report that 77% Indians earn less than Rs 20 per day . He said this was not true as over 6 crore ( i thought I heard this figure )Indians possessed Mobile Phones.
        Mr Raja's generosity towards certain Telecom Companies is coming out . Public sector Disinvestment at Chawanni Price has to be objected to also .
         I add my voice to this Loot and Exploitation of Public Goods and Public Rights .
        Regards
        Mira

         Dr Mira Shiva
        Initiative  for Health ,Equity and Society
        All India Drug action Network
        Diverse Women for Diversity

         A60 Hauz Khas
        New Delhi
        110016

        [Attachment(s) from Jashodhara included below]

        --
        Dr. Mira Shiva
        IHES/AIDAN/IPHC (South Asia)
        Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2010

          Privatising healthcare in UP
          by Shahira Naim

          http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20100511/edit.htm#top
          THE civil society is set to oppose the Uttar Pradesh government's decision to hand over the complete public health infrastructure in four districts to selected private partners for 33 years.

          Describing it as the state abdicating its constitutional responsibility, more than three dozen NGOs and concerned citizens have regrouped under a newly formed 'Swasthya Sewa Nijikaran Virodhi Manch' (SSNVM) to launch a public campaign against the move.

          Sources claim that Apollo Hospitals, Fortis Heathcare, Max Healthcare and Rockland have been shortlisted by the state government for the management, operation and maintenance of public health service facilities.

          According to Jashodara Dasgupta from HealthWatch UP, the SSNVM will launch a multi-pronged campaign to challenge the move that is being viewed as a violation of the fundamental right of a citizen to life with dignity.

          In the very first attempt of its kind anywhere in the country, the Uttar Pradesh government has selected four District Hospitals, eight Community Health Centres, 23 Primary Health Centres and 210 Sub Centres for handing over to selected private partners. The districts selected for the experiment are Allahabad, Kanpur, Firozabad and Basti.

          For this a Special Purpose Company is to be set up with the private partners in which the government will have a mere 11 per cent shareholding. After 33 years the SPC will be dissolved and the shares will revert to the government on the payment of a nominal sum of Re 1.

          The 26-page Request for Qualification (RFQ) document available on the state government's website speaks of the entire curative chain being made a "financially viable business proposition" in which the government offers the partner a "captive market" of 23 lakh population in the district with "practically no presence of any other quality private provider".

          According to Dasgupta, the word 'free' occurs only once in the document where it mentions that only those services which are free under category ‘A’ Conveniently these services have not been listed. No provisions for providing free services for the poor or BPL finds a mention in the bid document.

          “Category B (list to be made available only to the shortlisted bidders in the RFQ document) are mandatory services to be introduced by the private partner for which they would "be allowed to determine its own charges” “as per market forces”.

          It is very clear from the bid document that the state government will not make any financial contribution to the capital and running costs other than providing “supplies under National programmes”.

          In its bid to offer an uncharted market to private players in the health sector the state government has not mentioned its obligation or that of the private partner to the increasing number of the poor and marginalised, who are getting free or subsidised medical care. There is no mention if there would be free beds for the poor.

          What would happen to the UPA government's ambitious National Rural Health Mission is also not clear. In areas like maternal health, family planning, tuberculosis and malaria control the NRHM has provided a mechanism for laying out technical standards, funding as well as accountability for the health system.

          The Director General, Medical Health Services, Dr R R Bharti, remained busy in meetings and was unavailable to comment on apprehensions of the civil society on this move to privatise health services in the four districts of the state.

        • Abhijit Das
          Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2010
            Dear All,
            There has been an announcement in the news today that CM Mayawati has
            WITHDRAWN the proposal for privatisation of hospitals in UP.
            Congratulations to all activists of the Swasthya Sewa Nijikaran Virodhi
            Manch UP for their prompt and robust opposition to the original proposal.
            Thanks to all others who supported the call to oppose privatisation of
            district health systems in UP.
            In Solidarity,
            Abhijit