RE: [reprohealth_india] Now Coming up- 7 laks fine for female feticide and three yrs

  • sneha mishra
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2008
      Dear friends
      this seems to be an exemplary action from the Ministry. What we need to ensure that the poor women should not be dragged into the claws of law in the name of female foeticide. Can we say instead 'sex selective abortion'. I welcome the ultrasound monitoring software item. Infact that will solve 99% problems if it could track the malpractice.
      Looking forward to a girl child friendly society.
      SAVE THE GIRLS, SAVE THE SOCIETY.
      In solidarity
      Sneha Mishra
      AAINA

      To: reprohealth_india@yahoogroups.com
      From: drrksood@...
      Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 05:49:13 +0000
      Subject: [reprohealth_india] Now Coming up- 7 laks fine for female feticide and three yrs

      Lets hope it gets implemented and some exemplary prosecutions take place through collaboration of civil society and line deparments.
      Dr RK Sood

      Sex ratio: ministry to crack whip

      Thu, May 1

      With the sex ratio declining alarmingly over the years, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare plans to increase the fine for those found involved in female foeticide to Rs 7 lakh along with three years of imprisonment. At present, the punishment stands at three years in jail and fine ranging from Rs 50,000 to one lakh.

      This is one of the initiatives that the ,inistry plans to take to improve the skewed sex ratio. According to the latest figures available with the ministry, 80 per cent of the districts in the country recorded a decline in the child sex ratio. "The situation is the worst in the north-western states of India, with Punjab recording the maximum decline from 875 in 1991 to 798 in 2001, followed by Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh, Delhi and Gujarat," says the ministry report.
      To keep a tab on illegal ultrasound centres, the ministry plans to put in place a software that will enable them to monitor these centers online. "It will take three months for such a software to get started. We will have a super key in hand that will enable us know what these clinics are doing," said Pravir Krishn, joint secretary in the Ministry of Health.
      The ministry also plans to conduct medical audits of all ultrasound clinics in the country. "It's a good start and within the next three months, we will force them to comply with the law," he said.

      Exclusive Marriage Proposals! Find UR life partner at Shaadi.com Try it!
    • Asha George
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2008
        Dear Friends,

        I would appreciate someone letting me know how one can determine whether an ultrasound is being used for sex selection or some other purpose. As far as I know, the forms will indicate the number of ultrasounds taken, but if it is for sex selection purposes that people know is illegal, they can easily camoflage this on the form. At least that is my lay person's understanding.

        Mari Bhat and Francis Zavier in EPW based on NFHS calculations noted that even with an over-estimation of sex-selection (ie erring on the exagerated side) only 11-27% of PNDT use is for sex-selection. Although sex selection is a terrible thing, it takes place among particular social contexts (parity, region, social class, etc).

        I agree that neither 'female foeticide' nor 'sex-selective abortion' adequately describe the kind of gender discrimination that sanctions sex selection. It makes us focus on the technology, further stigmatises abortion services and distracts from the social contexts in which women are pressured into sex selection.

        Let us address the motivations for sex selection, the determinants of this behaviour, rather than only focus on the last stage of these actions, so that our activism and understanding addresses gender discrimination in our society and does not further marginalise the women involved.

        Best wishes, Asha.

        To: reprohealth_india@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2008
          Dear Friends,
          I would like to share some of the discussions that took place in a meeting organised on the 21st and 22nd of April in Mumbai which focussed on protecting women's access to safe abortion services within the context of gender equality.
          1. The language of sex selective abortion threatens women's reproductive rights as it threatens access to abortion.
          2. There is plenty of evidence, through review of IEC materials - printed, as well as electronic, where messages related to the illegality of sex selective abortion conveniently or inadvertently merges into illegality of abortion
          3. The human rights framework applies to individuals after birth, and if the act of sex selection is continually related to rights of the girl child we inadvertently end up providing rights to the unborn which is actually what many anti-abortion (right wing) groups want. These groups unfortunately do not believe in gender equality and human rights, non-negotiable principles for those of us who work on gender and women's health and rights issues. A lot of the international funding for this work ( save the girl child) actually comes from sources which are opposed to abortion and reproductive rights.
          4. Today the PCPNDT Act makes the act of sex detection or preselection illegal and we should encourage all efforts to 'seriously' implement the law, without inadvertently restricting the access of women to very necessary and often life saving legal and safe abortion services.
          I feel we need to review the appeal to save an unequal and unjust society. We need instead a call to build a new society where women and men, girls and boys can live with, aspire for and dream about the same respect, dignity, opportunity and resources.
          Warm regards,
          Abhijit