Two child norm- follow up

  • Abhijit Das
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3 12:39 PM
      Dear Friends,

      A strategy meeting to decide the future course of action on Coercive Population  Policies and Two Child Norm , was organised at at Habitat Centre on 28th March 2005. The meeting was attended by friends from SAMA, HRLN, PFI, Punjab VHA, Action India, The Hunger Project, Healthwatch UP Bihar, Prayas, MacArthur Foundation, Mahila Chetna Manch Mira Shiva, Shiv Kumaramong others,

      The PIL filed by a Haritash in the Supreme Court was discussed in the context of the recent assertion by the GoI that the 2 child norm did not constitute part of teh National Population Policy. The risks of legal action were discussed in the context of the political gains that had been made in the past.

      Some of the discussions that took place in the meeting were as follows:
      1. Both the pros and cons of legal action were discussed
      2. It was agreed that the Supreme Court seemed to taking a pro-active stand in promoting the two child norm - eg. Javed case, Zile Singh case, directions in the Haritash PIL etc
      3. The pros and cons of letting the current case proceed as it was were discussed and it was felt that even though the chances of failure were high, if we did not intervene we would later feel that we could have done something - as in the Javed Case where the Court was not provided with the current state of the art in terms of information and theories.
      4. It was agreed that a holistic strategy was needed and not just reacting legally.
      5. The strategies used should be a mix of action at the central level and action at the state capitals.

      The consensus at the meeting was that

      1. We should intervene legally even though we may lose - because Justice Lahotia and the Supreme Court seems to strongly feel that the two child norm is good for the country. In the first case Javed vs State of Haryana they discussed the issue at length and proceeded beyond the narrow limits of the case , This could happen once again with the Haritash PIL . However the Haritash PIL is limited to just including the MPs and MLAs within the ambit of Panchayat representatives and getting them disqualified.
      2. It was also agreed that a legal intervention is not enough and we need to engage in other activities to get media attention on this issue both at the Central level and at the level of the States.
      3. A third strategy would be to engage in public education on the issue of population control and two child norm because even though they are not explicit part of policy the ideas enjoy tremendous support among politicians, media, bureacracy, middle class, etc etc..The public education should not focus on population control but on consequences like sex preselection and skewed sex ratio
      4.The legal intervention could be a) interventions in the current case b) filing a revision petition on the Javed vs State of Haryana. In any case the suggestion was that a number of petitions should be filed - some from state placing the state experiences and some based on common themes like two child norm and sex ratio.
      5. It was decided that all present would try to get the endorsement of politicians (MPs and MLAs ) on this issue as well as get in touch with captains of industry if possible. People present would also use all possible opportunities to get more people engaged on this issue.
      6. There were plans to create some noise on July 11 in the state capitals as well as in Delhi
      7.A coalition was also formed and this was to be kept open so that others could join - the tentative name given was - Coalition against Coercive Family Planning. though other names were welcome and the name was not finalised.
      8. The legal coordination was entrusted to Human Rights Law Network - who said that there needed to be many more legal groups/ persons invovled. Some names that were discussed included - Lawyers Collective, Kirti Singh, Prashant Bhusan etc..
      9. The non- legal part of the activities were to be initially coordinated by Abhijit Das. The list serv - reprohealth_india@yahoogroups.com
      10 The Hunger Project agreed to tie up with the other organisations working on Panchayats and involve them in this campaign.
      11. Colin and HRLN would shortly circulate a note on how the petitions could be filed.
      12. Abhijit would circulate a concept note on two child norm which could be circulated widely in English and Hindi.
      Colin's note as well as the concept note on two child norm in English and Hindi are attached to this note.

      Looking forward to your comments,

      In solidarity,

      Abhijit

      PS The concept notes may need to be adapted for use in different states.

    • Subhashini Ali
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3 7:43 PM
        dear abhijit
        thanks for sending all this v imp material on. we
        discussed the whole thing in aidwa also and although
        we have always opposed going to the court on this
        issue - in view, obviously, of the court's attitude -
        since this man has approached the court and it has
        decided in its 'wisdom' to take it seriously, we dont
        have an option. it is probably wise to have several
        orgns. moving - that is what we have decided to do.
        do you have material on disqualifications on this 2
        child norm basis of elected reps???
        subhashini

        partneronline.

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Messenger
      • Abhijit Das
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 10:44 PM
          Dear Subhashini,
          We have some material and we are collecting more material. I will send you
          the stuff once we have collated the information from the different states.
          warm regards,
          Abhijit

        • Meenu
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5 5:05 AM
            Congratulations Subhash and team. We look forward to getting the
            details. Also, I propose we should send letters of congratulation to the
            Himachal State Assembly for this act of leadership.

            Great News
            Meenu

            sutra wrote:

            > *GREAT VICTORY*
            > *THE HIMACHAL PRADESH ASSMBLY HAS PASSED THE AMENDMENT TO PANCHAYAT
            > RAJ ACT TO REMOVE THE 2 CHILD NORM SITING THE REASON THAT IT IS ANTI
            > WOMEN AND IT HAS CREATED LARGE NUMBER OF SOCIAL PROBLEMS.*
            > *DETAILS SHALL BE SEND TO YOU ALL TOMOROW WHEN WE GET THE OFFICIAL
            > COPY OF THE VIDHAN SABHA PROCEEDINGS.*
            > *SUBHASH MENDHAPURKAR *
            > *SUTRA*
            >
            > -----

          • Sama
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5 10:20 PM
              Great news! Congratulations! Look forward to receiving the details.

              Deepa
              on 4/5/05 5:35 PM, Meenu at meenu@... wrote:

              > Congratulations Subhash and team. We look forward to getting the
              > details. Also, I propose we should send letters of congratulation to the
              > Himachal State Assembly for this act of leadership.
              >
              > Great News
              > Meenu
              >
              > sutra wrote:
              >
              >> *GREAT VICTORY*
              >> *THE HIMACHAL PRADESH ASSMBLY HAS PASSED THE AMENDMENT TO PANCHAYAT
              >> RAJ ACT TO REMOVE THE 2 CHILD NORM SITING THE REASON THAT IT IS ANTI
              >> WOMEN AND IT HAS CREATED LARGE NUMBER OF SOCIAL PROBLEMS.*
              >> *DETAILS SHALL BE SEND TO YOU ALL TOMOROW WHEN WE GET THE OFFICIAL
              >> COPY OF THE VIDHAN SABHA PROCEEDINGS.*
              >> *SUBHASH MENDHAPURKAR *
              >> *SUTRA*
              >>
              >> -----
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Poonam Muttreja (new)
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6 4:41 AM
                Message
                Congratulations Subhash - great news.  It would be most helpful if you could send us not only the official copy of the Vidhan Sabha proceedings but also tell us what all you and other group did to make history?  I am sure that you will agree that this needs to be publicized broadly and government of Himachal Pradesh needs to be congratulated publically and show the way to other states.  Please do share as much details as possible.

                Poonam
                __________________
                Poonam Muttreja
                Country Director
                The John D and Catherine T MacArthur Foundation
                Zone VA, 1st Floor, India Habitat Centre
                Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110 003
                Tel: 91 11 24644006
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6 8:12 AM
                  Dear Deepa/ Sarojiini,
                  Do keep us posted about your plans to meet Mr Mani Shankar Aiyer with the
                  memorandum on the two child norm. A copy of the memorandum could be
                  circulated so that friends from the states could get more signatures on it.
                  Best wishes,
                  Abhijit

                  At 10:50 AM 4/6/2005 +0530, Sama wrote:

                  >Great news! Congratulations! Look forward to receiving the details.
                  >
                  >Deepa
                  >on 4/5/05 5:35 PM, Meenu at meenu@... wrote:
                  >

                  > > Congratulations Subhash and team. We look forward to getting the
                  > > details. Also, I propose we should send letters of congratulation to the
                  > > Himachal State Assembly for this act of leadership.
                  > >
                  > > Great News
                  > > Meenu
                  > >
                  > > sutra wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> *GREAT VICTORY*
                  > >> *THE HIMACHAL PRADESH ASSMBLY HAS PASSED THE AMENDMENT TO PANCHAYAT
                  > >> RAJ ACT TO REMOVE THE 2 CHILD NORM SITING THE REASON THAT IT IS ANTI
                  > >> WOMEN AND IT HAS CREATED LARGE NUMBER OF SOCIAL PROBLEMS.*
                  > >> *DETAILS SHALL BE SEND TO YOU ALL TOMOROW WHEN WE GET THE OFFICIAL
                  > >> COPY OF THE VIDHAN SABHA PROCEEDINGS.*
                  > >> *SUBHASH MENDHAPURKAR *
                  > >> *SUTRA*
                  > >>
                  > >> -----
                  > >>

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • CEHAT
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 7 1:47 AM
                    Yes, I think circulating the memorandum is a good idea, so we collect
                    signatures from all regions. We would like to get a copy.

                    Regards- Amita, CEHAT
                    > Do keep us posted about your plans to meet Mr Mani Shankar Aiyer with the
                    > memorandum on the two child norm. A copy of the memorandum could be
                    > circulated so that friends from the states could get more signatures on
                    > it.
                    > Best wishes,
                    > Abhijit
                    >
                    > At 10:50 AM 4/6/2005 +0530, Sama wrote:
                    >
                    >>Great news! Congratulations! Look forward to receiving the details.
                    >>
                    >>Deepa
                    >>on 4/5/05 5:35 PM, Meenu at meenu@... wrote:
                    >>

                    >> > Congratulations Subhash and team. We look forward to getting the
                    >> > details. Also, I propose we should send letters of congratulation to
                    >> > the
                    >> > Himachal State Assembly for this act of leadership.
                    >> >
                    >> > Great News
                    >> > Meenu

                    >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    >>Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Sama
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 7 1:55 AM
                      Will circulate the memorandum at the ear liest.
                      We have yet to get an appointment with the Minister. CWDS (Vinadi) is
                      coordinating that.
                      Will keep you posted.

                      Regards,
                      Deepa