Health News Update July 1, 2007

  • Gitanjali Priti Bhatia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007

      Health News Update July 1, 2007

      'Health sector needs better infrastructure'
      New Delhi | July 01, 2007 IST

      Underlining the wide gap between the availability of healthcare facilities in rural and urban India, a Planning Commission member Saturday said the country's health infrastructure is in a shambles.

      Giving women a larger say in the matter

      BERHAMPUR| June 30, 2007

        Female condoms would be marketed at Rs. 5 and Rs. 2 in south Orissa by Government health agencies within the next few months.

      Caste drama in hospital

      HOWRAH | June 30, 2007 IST

      Government hospitals, too, have not been able to rise above the considerations of caste, creed and class. At least, so it seems. A lawyer was admonished by a doctor of the Howrah General Hospital on Friday, when the former tried to get an ailing pavement dweller admitted.

      'Bihar among worst HIV-hit states'

      PATNA |30 Jun, 2007  IST

       Regional Aids Training Centre and Network in India (RATNEI) medical director Dr Diwakar Tejaswi said here on Friday Bihar and eastern UP are among the worst HIV and Aids-hit states of the country.

        Singapore health care firm eyes Indian transplant market

      NEW DELHI: | 30 Jun, 2007

         Aware of the stringent laws governing organ transplantation in India, a Singapore-based health care firm is planning to forge an alliance with a major group of hospitals here to facilitate organ donation.

        Doctors suspended for denying delivery to HIV+ woman
      Lucknow | June 30, 2007 IST
      Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati ordered the suspension of two doctors of the Meerut
      Medical College late Friday over their alleged refusal to carry out delivery of a HIV positive woman.

        Father forced to deliver baby due to HIV stigma
      Meerut | June 29, 2007  IST
      Rahees Abbas, a slum dweller in Uttar Pradesh's Meerut city, was forced to help his wife deliver a baby after doctors at the Meerut Medical College refused to attend to his HIV infected pregnant wife.

        Kalam to inaugurate 'dream' medical project in Hyderabad
      Hyderabad | June 28, 2007   IST
      Weeks before relinquishing office, President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam will Friday inaugurate his dream project to develop
      medical devices indigenously and at affordable cost.

        23 children die due to malnutrition, ill-health?

      BHUBANESWAR | June 28, 2007

        Health of children in villages inside Similipal Wildlife Sanctuary continues to be grim with 23 children have reportedly died due to malnutrition, septicaemia, malaria, jaundice and pneumonia in two panchayats between January and June this year.

        India records substantial decline in polio cases
      New Delhi | June 27, 2007  IST
      India has made substantial progress in curbing the spread of polio with just 82 cases reported in the first half of this year compared to 676 last year, says WHO.

        Medicines being diverted for drug abuse: UN official
      New Delhi | June 26, 2007  IST
      India faces a problem of
      medicines being diverted for drug abuse and the smuggling of such drugs to neighbouring countries is also a serious issue, says a senior UN official.

      Funds sought to control chikungunya

      MADURAI: 24 Jun, 2007

       The Tamil Nadu Government has sought Rs.15 crore from the Centre exclusively for carrying out measures to prevent chikungunya and to break the vector transmission.

      Forceps found inside woman's stomach in Orissa

      BHUBANESWAR: 24 Jun, 2007  IST l PTI

       Doctors found forceps inside the abdomen of a 35-year-old woman who rushed to the SCB Medical College Hospital in Cuttack due to severe pain.

      Chikungunya spreads as funds remain unspent
      New Delhi | June 23, 2007  IST
      Nearly half the central government funds allocated to fight chikungunya last year remained unused - mostly in southern states that, ironically, were struggling against the mosquito-borne disease that had affected at least 1.4 million people across the country.

        Poor health practices plague Rajasthan tribal women
      Udaipur | June 23, 2007 IST
      Women in Rajasthan's tribal areas still consider home to be the safest place for deliveries, are afraid of using
      contraceptives and don't get their children immunised.

      Chikungunya-hit villages to get funds to fight mosquitoes

       New Delhi| June 22, 2007  IST

      Health Minister A. Ramadoss Thursday said that all villages affected by chikungunya fever would get Rs.10,000 to prevent mosquito breeding and to spread awareness among people even as 17,000 suspected cases of the viral have been reported so far this year.

      Mobile health vans for women

      NEW DELHI| June 22, 2007

       Mobile health vans would be made available in all the 36 Gender Resource Centres functioning under the Stree Shakti Programme of the Department of Social Welfare to enable women belonging to weaker sections of society to avail themselves of facilities of better treatment and medicines near their place of residence, the Chief Minister, Sheila Dikshit, announced here on Thursday.

        UNHCR refuses to pay for treatment of refugee

      NEW DELHI | June 22, 2007

      On Wednesday as the World Refugee Day was being observed, Iranian refugee Jehangir Eslah succumbed to a heart ailment here in the Capital. His family, registered as refugees for the past five years, claims he would have been alive if the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) had paid for his medical care.

      Ethics not a subject in medical colleges

      22 Jun, 2007  IST

      Indian medical colleges, known to produce the world's most qualified doctors, do not teach medical ethics as a separate subject.

      Condom row climaxes with letter to PM

      BHOPAL: 22 Jun, 2007  IST

       The vibrating condom controversy is headed to the PMO with a Madhya Pradesh cabinet minister writing to PM Manmohan Singh, accusing the UPA government of promoting sex toys and sex for pleasure.

      A service from Centre for Health and Social Justice

    • DR RK SOOD
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
        I would like to post some rapid thoughts regarding the disclosure of HIV
        status and breach confidentiality of pregnant women.

        This is a human rights issue where this breach of disclosure has led to
        denial of care, discrimination. No doubt the guilty should be brought to
        book, but the issue of everybody knowing the confidential information
        needs critical thought.

        Under the "Prevention of Parents To Child Transmission" programme of
        NACO which aims to improve access to ART among pregnant women and reduce
        vertical transmission, all women are bieng counselled [read COERCED] to
        get the test done at VCTC and then diclose the results [as all surgeons
        have a phobia of HIV from not following universal precautions]. How can
        we protect the confidentiality and rights of the victims to medical
        care.

        A system should be in place to ensure ethical access and strict action
        against those denying treatment, breaking confidentiality. All right
        violations should be proactively acted upon by administrators, rather
        than after after being highlited media.

        Dr RK Sood

        <http://news.webindia123.com/news/articles/Health/20070630/701271.html>*

        positive<http://news.webindia123.com/news/articles/Health/Health_1.html>\