Raipur Protest May 31st 2007!

  • Sunita Singh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007

      Dear Friends

      Greetings from Raipur!

      Nearly Five thousand people across the state and country gathered in Raipur and protested against Dr. Binayak Sen's arrest under the Black Law. There was a plan to have a rally but it got canceled as government was so scared and deputed larger number of police force and barricaded roads. We all gathered at Khalsa School's Mata Sundari Hall from 10 AM onwards. People from across the state came in trucks with banner and flags demanding Dr. Sen's unconditional release. Representatives form different organizations expressed their feeling and pointed out Dr. Sen's contribution as a doctor and as a human rights advocate. Ms Medha Patekar also delivered a speech and said " Govt has to abolish this law and has to release Dr. Sen as soon as possible. If state believes that talking and working in the favor of human rights is an unlawful act then the state should arrest all of us as we all are human rights advocates". A song dedicated to Dr. Binayngak Sen was sung and played by a group of tribal children. Also nearly 200 people from the area where Dr. Sen runs his clinic came and protested.

      A 10 member's team headed by Dr. V Suresh went to meet Principle Secretary Mr. Shiv Raj Singh in the morning. Mr. Singh assured that he will put forward the matter in front of the Chief Minister.

      The very same day all health activists had a meeting in the evening at Pastoral Center where plan of action for coming month was discussed. It was decided that we need to come-up with one state level committee and one national level committee which will work towards building pressure on government in state and as well as at the center.

      On May 31st the protest was carried out in eight states.

      In solidarity

      Sunita Singh

      --
      Program Officer
      Centre for Health and Social Justice (CHSJ)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2007
        Dear Sunita , Thank you for the Raipur Protest updates . I really felt miserable finding my tickets not confirmed  so I could not attend despite my sincere wish to attend .Your participation gave me high satisfaction . best wishes, Devika

        Sunita Singh <singhsunita10@...> wrote:

[...]

        Email:  chsj@...,sunita@chsj. org, singhsunita10@ gmail.com
        Web:    www.chsj.org

        Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Know how!